The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
Tigg

c20 conversion question

I am building my first truck and its a c20. I am cutting it down to a short bed and making it a c10. My question is from what I have read on here the best way to convert the front end is a 73-87 for the disc brakes. Pardon my noobie question but I would like opinions before I buy more parts. I have found a 77 frame with a complete front suspension and rear end, that's it. with the wheels locally for $250.00. that should bolt up with minimal modifying in the front and give me a 1/2 ton rear too. I want to do a 4/6 or a 5/7 lowering kit. would all the brake stuff work still on the drop spindles still? does this sound like the right approach and a fair price for the set up? also would I buy the lowering kit for the 73-87 or still the 67-72. (told ya I am a welder/ sheet metal guy, suspensions are above my pay grade)

Im open for suggestions and thanks in advance!
Tigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 10:57 PM   #2
kcsa75

Re: c20 conversion question

I can't help you with your questions, but wanted to welcome you to the forum. There's a lot of knowledge here and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

People who blindly follow a GPS end up on television programs on The Weather Channel. Some survive, some don't.
kcsa75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:10 PM   #3
Tigg

Thanks for the warm welcomes!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
69Rumbler

Should of just waited till you found a c10 lol
Old 01-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
Tigg

well with my starting budget and lack of patience I took the best I could find, which happened to be the first one too lol. ive found several since I bought mine but what would be the fun in that? Building them is most of the fun!
Old 01-14-2014, 01:01 AM   #6
hugger6933

If you use the stuff from the 77 and you can you will need the 73-87 spindles and other stuff. Now is your truck a trailing arm[also known as a truck arm] rear suspension? If so, you will need to take the 77 rear end and grind off all of the spring pads and buy a kit to mount that rear in the 67-72 truck. In that style of truck in witch we are dealing[67-72] mostly the Chevys came standard with the coil sprung rear and had a leaf spring option. While the GMC came standard with the leafs and the coils were the option. The coil spring rears by every ones accounts will ride much better than the leafs. The front crossmember as a whole will change in to your frame by adding a bolt hole that you will see once it is into place or if your not wanting to take the truck down that far, you can change just the control arms and the steering parts and leave the cross member alone that is already there. You can surely use all of the braking parts from the newer truck and steering as well if your truck is not power optioned. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 AM   #7
Tigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
If you use the stuff from the 77 and you can you will need the 73-87 spindles and other stuff. Now is your truck a trailing arm[also known as a truck arm] rear suspension? If so, you will need to take the 77 rear end and grind off all of the spring pads and buy a kit to mount that rear in the 67-72 truck. In that style of truck in witch we are dealing[67-72] mostly the Chevys came standard with the coil sprung rear and had a leaf spring option. While the GMC came standard with the leafs and the coils were the option. The coil spring rears by every ones accounts will ride much better than the leafs. The front crossmember as a whole will change in to your frame by adding a bolt hole that you will see once it is into place or if your not wanting to take the truck down that far, you can change just the control arms and the steering parts and leave the cross member alone that is already there. You can surely use all of the braking parts from the newer truck and steering as well if your truck is not power optioned. Jim

Thanks Jim, I just wanted to hear someone say that before I jumped up and bought another parts truck. I have read conflicting reports about the c20 conversion. The rear mounts shouldn't be that bad to do I would think. I think for the cost this is my most economical way.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:35 PM   #8
Tigg

What is the common way to do the rear disc brakes from the 73-87 drive train?