The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
NavyDoc

Couple questions for yall

Hey everyone, been a bit since I posted my truck while I was deployed. So I had a few questions about my truck

1. Is this the original steering wheel? I haven't seen a Chevrolet Division one before
2. Is a '68 like mine with a 327 and TH400 rare at all? My mechanic(I know, I feel less manly just saying that) who did the rebuild on it said that its a rare motor and even offered to buy it from me because he said its a large journal that is number matching to the truck. I've tried researching it but mostly came up with Camaro pages.
Attached Images

NavyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
hamjet

Re: Couple questions for yall

Hi, I can answer about the 327 journal size. 1968 the 327 went to large journals..
Old 01-18-2014, 06:43 PM   #3
NavyDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamjet View Post
Hi, I can answer about the 327 journal size. 1968 the 327 went to large journals..
That's what I saw mostly. Any things to look for about it being a "Rare Motor"?
Old 01-18-2014, 06:52 PM   #4
hamjet

Nothing I can think of, did he say someone put high domes in it, or is it a 4 bolt main? Those won't make it rare but they would be desireable to some. Now someone might jump in and tell you to look for that "rare corvette option", DON'T BITE!!!
Old 01-18-2014, 06:56 PM   #5
hugger6933

Doc, lets not confuse the word rare and Limited use. The 327 is a good motor and I don't want to start a pooh storm here since it is matching numbers to your truck you did a very good thing in keeping it with the truck. The combo may not be as widely seen as rare but with some people using the truck as intended back then it was a plain deal many were not gonna be loaded with the top or near top level drivetrain like your. Now the TH400 could be had with anything I think from the 6 cyl on up to the 396. Yes the wheel in your truck is a 68 wheel. They were 67-68 only [I think, both my 67 and my 68 has those wheels]. That is a very nice truck. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
NavyDoc

Smile Re: Couple questions for yall

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugger6933 View Post
Doc, lets not confuse the word rare and Limited use. The 327 is a good motor and I don't want to start a pooh storm here since it is matching numbers to your truck you did a very good thing in keeping it with the truck. The combo may not be as widely seen as rare but with some people using the truck as intended back then it was a plain deal many were not gonna be loaded with the top or near top level drivetrain like your. Now the TH400 could be had with anything I think from the 6 cyl on up to the 396. Yes the wheel in your truck is a 68 wheel. They were 67-68 only [I think, both my 67 and my 68 has those wheels]. That is a very nice truck. Jim
Thanks, I figured rare in his wording meant less numbers than a 350 option. I want to keep the 327 mostly for that reason. I like it, it runs well and it is basically the same truck my grandpa gave my dad before he passed away and that I learned to drive on. Thanks for clarifying on the steering wheel too. Now my next project is to kill the rust in the bed and fix a few electrical issues.