The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #1
Malamute

Temp Gauge Options

I've done some searching and I'm more confused than I was before. I just feel as though the truck is running hot and I hate not truly knowing.

'71 w/ factory 250l6 and 3OTT. It has the most bare bones gauge cluster. What's the best set up/way to add a temp gauge? I don't care if it's in the cluster and would even be OK mounted to the steering column so it could always be removed if I wanted to.

Thanks for the help.
Malamute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #2
54blackhornet

Re: Temp Gauge Options

I have same stock gauge in my 68 GMC, you can get a three gauge set up at most auto parts stores. Engine Temp, oil pressure and amp or volt gauge . I mounted mine under dash below radio. It looks stupid but tells you a lot more then the stock idiot gauge from the factory .....
Old 01-17-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
SS Tim

Just to be clear you have the three hole cluster with the center warning lamps right?
If so adding a gauge cluster or a gauge and tach cluster is pretty straight forward.
Once you have a cluster the wire harness connector/plug needs to be repinned to match the gauge cluster correctly.
A gauge temp sender needs to replace the engine's thermal switch.
Then the oil pressure hard line running from the engine to the cluster is added.
If you are adding a tach it has a seperate harness as well.

Tbone1964 reconditions clusters but shoulld be able to fix you up with a tested ready to go stock cluster assembly.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=604141

Or you can just hang some add on gauges that are electric or mechanical.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #4
TBONE1964
Cluster King

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Just to be clear you have the three hole cluster with the center warning lamps right?
If so adding a gauge cluster or a gauge and tach cluster is pretty straight forward.
Once you have a cluster the wire harness connector/plug needs to be repinned to match the gauge cluster correctly.
Then the oil pressure hard line running from the engine to the cluster is added.

Tbone1964 reconditions clusters but shoulld be able to fix you up with a tested ready to go stock cluster assembly.

"Tbone1964 reconditions clusters but should be able to fix you up with a tested ready to go stock cluster assembly." Thank you Tim, I appreciate it.

Let me know if I can help you. I can offer you many different options to get you a cluster or modify your existing cluster to fit your specific needs.

Thank you,
Tom

I am also a dealer for Counterpart for gauge cluster parts only.

Also see my facebook page, CG&C
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #5
Malamute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post

Yes. That's the one.
Old 01-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #6
Malamute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
"Tbone1964 reconditions clusters but should be able to fix you up with a tested ready to go stock cluster assembly." Thank you Tim, I appreciate it.

Let me know if I can help you. I can offer you many different options to get you a cluster or modify your existing cluster to fit your specific needs.

Thank you,
Tom
I may hit you up PM. I'll check the link and do a little more research first.
Thanks guys!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
COLEFORBUS

My cluster has the temp gauge but it isn't hooked up to anything. Im assuming there is a thermostat that plugs into the block. Can yall tell me what part im looking for and where I can find one?
COLEFORBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #8
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
I've done some searching and I'm more confused than I was before. I just feel as though the truck is running hot and I hate not truly knowing.

'71 w/ factory 250l6 and 3OTT. It has the most bare bones gauge cluster. What's the best set up/way to add a temp gauge? I don't care if it's in the cluster and would even be OK mounted to the steering column so it could always be removed if I wanted to.

Thanks for the help.
If you can come up with an original gauge cluster here's a link regarding re-pinning your connector as SSTim suggests. Also, as he said, you'll need to run the oil gauge hard line and swap sensors (see link in post 9). I did this, and it works great.

http://gmcpauls.com/Tech%2520Tips1.htm

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 01-18-2014 at 10:44 PM.
FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLEFORBUS View Post
My cluster has the temp gauge but it isn't hooked up to anything. Im assuming there is a thermostat that plugs into the block. Can yall tell me what part im looking for and where I can find one?
Here is link to a picture of the 2 types of temperature sending units used in the left head between #1 and #3 cylinders. The one on the bottom is for the idiot light dash. The one on the top is for the gauge dash. That also needs to be swapped out when doing the conversion I mentioned in my post above.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/w...pse169ce2b.jpg
FirstOwner69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #10
Malamute

Thanks FirstOwner, that doesn't seem like it will be too difficult.