The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2014, 01:04 AM   #1
Keithpep

Front cross member question.

Got a question about front cross members. Just got my frame back from the powder coaters and starting bolting things back up. I gave the original CM to my son to section for his truck and used one I got from a guy that was selling some parts. My frame is a 68 and I think the one I bought was from a 71. The problem I'm having is it bolts up except for one hole on either side. It's two of the 4 threaded holes on the vertical part of the frame where it bolts up. I assumed the stamping were the same through all six years. Anyone else ever run into this issue? It is just barely off, I can make it work with a die grinder. but would rather it line up like from factory.
Keithpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: Front cross member question.

Common issue. Factory disc brake crossmember are different than drum brake crossmembers in the exact manner you have found.

The solution is to bolt the crossmember in using all of the other bolts and egg shape the remaining bolt holes until you can thread the bolts in.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Keithpep

Thanks for the reply Kevin, went ahead and used a die grinder to clearance the hole. Got it all together now, working on putting the rest together but ran into another problem. Should have researched before I bought the ball joints, found that 68 bj's won't fit on disc brake spindles.

On a side note, just spent some time going over some of your threads, damn boy you got mad skills. I also do my own powder coating. Just like you, I hate to pay someone for something I can do myself. And yes, even if you can't see the parts after assembly, there is no reason not to make it look as good as possible. (reference to your hay hauler build)
Keithpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Yeah, all of that info is on the board. I know I have posted these pictures at least a half a dozen times. Stuff can still be hard to find. I have trouble finding stuff on my own computer and I put all of it on there...

For the best search results use the GOOGLE search box at the top of this page. Type your search words into the box, (keep it simple) click on the circle in front of "67-72chevytrucks.com" and click on the GOOGLE button. Just make sure the thread you are looking at refers to your style of truck. (Hits will include all years)

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithpep View Post
Thanks for the reply Kevin, went ahead and used a die grinder to clearance the hole. Got it all together now, working on putting the rest together but ran into another problem. Should have researched before I bought the ball joints, found that 68 bj's won't fit on disc brake spindles.

On a side note, just spent some time going over some of your threads, damn boy you got mad skills. I also do my own powder coating. Just like you, I hate to pay someone for something I can do myself. And yes, even if you can't see the parts after assembly, there is no reason not to make it look as good as possible. (reference to your hay hauler build)
Thank you for the complimentary words. I can tell you and I see things the same way when it comes to work ethic.