The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #1
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

Fuse box/ECU

What fuse box are you guys using for your harness modifications? The stock one is huge... I have seen several of the aftermarket harness that have a small fuse block. Also where are you mounting the fuse block and ECU? I want this to look NICE...
Thanks
chevyguy_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #2
Edge64

Re: Fuse box/ECU

I used one made by Current Performance. It is not that big and worked well for me.
Edge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
chevyguy_72
Vintage Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge64 View Post
I used one made by Current Performance. It is not that big and worked well for me.
you have a link or pics of your install?
chevyguy_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:15 PM   #4
Edge64

I do but I"ll have to post them when i get home from work.
Edge64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #5
Dustytrix

Look at lt1swap.com its a web page with lots of info including part number for the small fuse block.
Dustytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 AM   #6
LS-K

I'm looking to start working on my electrical set up, can anyone tell me the reason/benefits for having a fuse panel in your electrical LSX set up. Not being a jackass by asking, just looking for info. thank you.
LS-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 01:51 AM   #7
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS-K View Post
I'm looking to start working on my electrical set up, can anyone tell me the reason/benefits for having a fuse panel in your electrical LSX set up. Not being a jackass by asking, just looking for info. thank you.
To keep from having an involuntary car-be-que? Seriously though, you NEED fuses and relays, and a small fuse box keeps them all together in one tidy place.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:09 AM   #8
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

I will gladly encourage anyone to tackle simplifying the BODY harness on early trucks. The wires are old, many of the flashers and relays can be swapped out with better more functional devices, and you can eliminate thoughtless wiring (thus making the whole thing cleaner and more ready to interface with the LSX). We built the body harness from scratch, getting it down to only a few wires here and there. WHY? Because my STOCK fusebox tried to light itself on fire. Too many bad splices and add-a-circuits from the previous owner.

You can buy a reproduction fuseblock, or just buy a basic hot rod fuseblock with nice clean panel and relays, and start from scratch. It takes time but it isn't hard.

NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID; engine wiring is a different story. Were no longer just modifying a few wires, we are modifying (in some cases) a whole harness. While there are plenty of guides, and it is doable, I happily advise against doing so. Take this into account, since I just admitted we had NO problem redoing the whole body harness.

Engine wiring is large runs of lots of wires, many of which are similarly colored, and setup different year to year. Then, start to subtract all the things you won't be using, while still making sure to keep all functional circuits in place AND do so in a manner that uses the best of the wiring runs and lays out the cleanest (in one try?!) Then, take into account and mis-matched or aftermarket stuff which may have its own conversions harness. This includes using a different tranny or different style injectors etc.

Do all of that from instructions and a multimeter. Then, hope you got it right at least from a physical standpoint. Not a single pinched, shorted or grounded wire in close to a thousand feet of wire. If you do have a problem, it could lead to anything from an engine fire, to a random catastrophic failure like loss of dbw control, and on and one. Then consider that if that doesn't happen, you could still chase down tiny little issues that are like gremlins.

We have had some VERY skilled members attempt very high tech swaps, with very good resources at hand. And even then, there are little tiny things in wiring and tuning that can be very tough to track down. When you take all of that into account, 450-650 for a brand new, scratch build and loomed harness that is perfectly setup for your truck and its combination of parts....really is a good value. Add to that most of them include pre-setup fuse and relay block and easy interfaces to the charging/ignition and interior electronics.

Oh and wiring the truck from a pre-setup harness takes 2 dudes about 2 hours while sipping cold ones in the garage.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:55 AM   #9
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Fuse box/ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
I will gladly encourage anyone to tackle simplifying the BODY harness on early trucks. The wires are old, many of the flashers and relays can be swapped out with better more functional devices, and you can eliminate thoughtless wiring (thus making the whole thing cleaner and more ready to interface with the LSX). We built the body harness from scratch, getting it down to only a few wires here and there. WHY? Because my STOCK fusebox tried to light itself on fire. Too many bad splices and add-a-circuits from the previous owner.

You can buy a reproduction fuseblock, or just buy a basic hot rod fuseblock with nice clean panel and relays, and start from scratch. It takes time but it isn't hard.

NOW WITH THAT BEING SAID; engine wiring is a different story. Were no longer just modifying a few wires, we are modifying (in some cases) a whole harness. While there are plenty of guides, and it is doable, I happily advise against doing so. Take this into account, since I just admitted we had NO problem redoing the whole body harness.

Engine wiring is large runs of lots of wires, many of which are similarly colored, and setup different year to year. Then, start to subtract all the things you won't be using, while still making sure to keep all functional circuits in place AND do so in a manner that uses the best of the wiring runs and lays out the cleanest (in one try?!) Then, take into account and mis-matched or aftermarket stuff which may have its own conversions harness. This includes using a different tranny or different style injectors etc.

Do all of that from instructions and a multimeter. Then, hope you got it right at least from a physical standpoint. Not a single pinched, shorted or grounded wire in close to a thousand feet of wire. If you do have a problem, it could lead to anything from an engine fire, to a random catastrophic failure like loss of dbw control, and on and one. Then consider that if that doesn't happen, you could still chase down tiny little issues that are like gremlins.

We have had some VERY skilled members attempt very high tech swaps, with very good resources at hand. And even then, there are little tiny things in wiring and tuning that can be very tough to track down. When you take all of that into account, 450-650 for a brand new, scratch build and loomed harness that is perfectly setup for your truck and its combination of parts....really is a good value. Add to that most of them include pre-setup fuse and relay block and easy interfaces to the charging/ignition and interior electronics.

Oh and wiring the truck from a pre-setup harness takes 2 dudes about 2 hours while sipping cold ones in the garage.
Well said! I couldn't agree more.
This is my stand along with fuses.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
Hart_Rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post

Wise one you are, .
Hart_Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #11
TR65

I got this one off e-bay, used in a Texas Highway Patrol Car to power all their electrical stuff. I wanted to fuse the LS2 exactly like the OE and this one had room for that. I was more interested in easy access than looks as you can see. But it works well and I powered the old truck harness off one of the big circuits in this box so it controls the whole truck.

TR
Attached Images

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:20 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: Fuse box/ECU

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR65 View Post
I got this one off e-bay, used in a Texas Highway Patrol Car to power all their electrical stuff. I wanted to fuse the LS2 exactly like the OE and this one had room for that. I was more interested in easy access than looks as you can see. But it works well and I powered the old truck harness off one of the big circuits in this box so it controls the whole truck.

TR
Dang it man!
Where have you been hiding at? We need some pictures of the truck dude!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote