The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2014, 10:04 PM   #1
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Have replacement/urethane dash pads improved at all?

I recall that a while ago these things were flimsy around the gauge clusters, would sag, didn't fit the best, were mislabeled in the factory packaging so an order of a 73-78 style pad had a vin cutout, and overall needed lots of tweaking...

Then I remember hearing that they solved the batch/problem with the wrong vin hole being present, and that maybe there was some extra reinforcement that kept the ripple/sag from over the instrument cluster being an issue anymore.

Has anyone bought any lately? If so, what was the verdict? Going to be looking for a dash for 2 of my trucks soon, (one sooner than the other of course) and the one thing I don't want to waste money on is a USED dash that could crack tomorrow, and probably will since many sellers armorall these things to the moon before taking pictures...

I suppose NOS could be an option, but, probably nothing local to me or within a reasonable price range is out there either.

I'd be most interested in finding one for a 1976 at this point in time... Thanks for any input guys!
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
Don SC

Re: Have replacement/urethane dash pads improved at all?

I''d check with Chris Lucas at his website store. www.73-87chevytrucks.com
Here's what he has-
http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/me...tegory_Code=DC
Don SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

ill tell you I have two trucks that have the dash caps on them and they fit nice and use the OEM pad under it im real happy

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #4
tucsonjwt

Since you live in a cold climate, you might get away with a dash cap. Here in the hot desert, those plastic caps crack quickly - worse than the original dash. I have an Accuform on my 83 and they sent a replacement cap which I have not installed. In my opinion, any kind of plastic cap is junk - your money is better spent on a good upholstered recover of high quality original type dash as shown above. My ideal would be some kind of custom fabed metal dash like the real old cars and trucks. I toyed with the idea of a wood custom cover but all of the cutouts for the vents and instrument panel would be too much of a challenge for me.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #5
79 silverado
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonjwt View Post
Since you live in a cold climate, you might get away with a dash cap. Here in the hot desert, those plastic caps crack quickly - worse than the original dash.
I actually agree with you on the plastic dash... this would be for one of the Georgia trucks. I had a plastic cap on my 79 up in new england, and even there I wasn't the most impressed with it. Came with the truck so I can't complain too badly, but, looked cheap and crappy in the interior to me.

Problem is, I can't get over feeling that the stitching seams are ugly IMO on the pads people recover with a vinyl product. I am contemplating trying to mess with resin and filler on a stock cracked dash, but, that also seems like more work than its worth and I don't think it will have the right appearance or "quality" feel when its installed.

I was hoping that they improved the fit and function of aftermarket parts somehow so I could get factory appearance and pliability... the $350 a pop gamble on Chris Lucas' pads seems somewhat risky without knowing or seeing anyone who actually used one of those pads, I'm at a loss of whether to risk it and be out a ton of money or not.
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
Don SC

79 Silverado, I understand your hesitancy with buying a dash. They are expensive. I bought one of those older rubbery Dashes-Direct ones and was real unhappy with the fit.
I was lucky and scored a used oem one on ebay for the truck I have now.
You can trust Chris Lucas. His dashes are the result of a lot of experience with Dashes Direct and other mfrs. Here's a thread from his website when he started selling the ones he has now with pictures provided.
http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/sm...?topic=26521.0
Don SC is offline   Reply With Quote