The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 AM   #1
his15153

Auto transmission problem

I have a 1969 Chevy C10 a 350 an automatic transmission. Sometimes when the truck is stopped and I accelerate, the transmission does not shift into gear. I usually have to give it a decent amount of gas for it to shift and start moving. It was happenening every once in a while. The truck has sat now for 2 months or so, and I tried driving it around the block. It happened everytime. Could this be because the fluid in the transmission is low?
his15153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Re: Auto transmission problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by his15153 View Post
Could this be because the fluid in the transmission is low?
Sure sounds like it. I fought a leaky filler tube o-ring in my TH350 for a long time, and every so often it got low enough to act just like you described. Didn't take much either, about a half quart down would do it. Also seemed more of a problem if the truck had been sitting for a while.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
hugger6933

Re: Auto transmission problem

I think the first thing to do is check the fluid level, motor running and make sure that the truck is on as level as ground as possible. I have also seen this problem before that the O-ring that holds the filter in the body of the trans was missing[in this case it was left off] and the truck still shifted but it was very difficult to get going like it was low on oil well because it was starving for it. I think fill the trans up and you will be good to go . If it is very low you may want to start looking for leaks, the shifter shaft seal and the dipstick tube and the speedo housing are all good places to start looking for leaks as well as the pan. If it has a drain check there too. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote