The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #26
OrrieG

Re: Vintage Air System Problem

Only if you are sensitive to that sort of thing... I had never noticed LOL.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:24 AM   #27
gag1025

Solution. I ordered another vent which fits flush with the under the dash surface. Hats off to Mark at Vintage Air for helping me come up with a solution. I am going to send him what we did to help them solve this problem in our 1947-1953 Chevy cars and trucks.

In the first photo you see the standard vent. It came to us this way. The long brace is slanted down and needs to be straight, so we removed the arm and mounted the front screw under the brace to lift the brace up level. We then cut the brace off because we do not need it that long. We drilled a hole in the side to add a screw to sturdy the brace so that it would not be able to move up and down. We then drilled a screw hole in the shorter tab to use to mount it to the dash. I will send the last 3 photos in the next reply.
Attached Images

Last edited by gag1025; 02-01-2014 at 12:45 AM.
gag1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 12:37 AM   #28
gag1025

We also widened the opening to increase the amount of air on the passenger side (where this vent is obviously located). We then mounted it under the dash at the opening. The last photo shows the vent tube attached. This gives us plenty of room for attaching the hoses.Our next project will be to replace the fire wall bulkhead that came with the Vintage Air kit. I do not think the black one will look right on my fire wall so we are going to have one made at Race Tech (local shop that builds race cars as well as restores classic cars-they are a full fledge machine shop and make a lot of their own parts) using polished aluminum. The thing I do not like about the 4 way square and straight line bulk heads you can purchase from them is that you have to have new hoses made up to use with these. The tubing that comes with the kit will not mate up with this part because they all have male screw fittings. More to follow next week on this.
Attached Images