The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-31-2014, 06:53 AM   #1
pdxhall

pics of small blocks moved forward

I'd like to get some pics of small blocks mounted in the forward frame holes moving them about 2 inches from guys that have done this. I've been reading pros and cons but I'd like some comments on this, also. I am at a stage where changing driveline length is not an issue but I am interested in clearance at the radiator. I'm also going with an electric fan.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:16 PM   #2
kieth

Re: pics of small blocks moved forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxhall View Post
I'd like to get some pics of small blocks mounted in the forward frame holes moving them about 2 inches from guys that have done this. I've been reading pros and cons but I'd like some comments on this, also. I am at a stage where changing driveline length is not an issue but I am interested in clearance at the radiator. I'm also going with an electric fan.
We moved my 350 forward on newer style (91 motor mounts) engine and 700r4 from a 91 suburban. No issues with stock radiator, (no fan shroud) and the transmission was longer than stock but if memory serves me we only had to remove 1.5" from the driveline.

Here is a link to pictures with the radiator and engine installed but no cab yet:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-GZXQvKD

heres one shot that shows the clearance from the firewall to the valve covers:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-88F3hp8

Hope this helps....Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Rich 5150 69

Lenguini just went thru this, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=mount+holes
the current trend now especially with the big block crowd is to drill new holes centered between the rear and forward holes in the frame/crossmember, clears firewall without crowding radiator, biggest issue with the small block crowd is if they using an old trans mount or generic mount they are short or collasped from age allowing the engine to lean back, so other than tall valve covers everything should clear if they raise the trans tailshaft slightly, we are only talking of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Sometimes engine mounts will affect engine height as well as shown below.
Attached Images

`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:33 PM   #4
pdxhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieth View Post
We moved my 350 forward on newer style (91 motor mounts) engine and 700r4 from a 91 suburban. No issues with stock radiator, (no fan shroud) and the transmission was longer than stock but if memory serves me we only had to remove 1.5" from the driveline.

Here is a link to pictures with the radiator and engine installed but no cab yet:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-GZXQvKD

heres one shot that shows the clearance from the firewall to the valve covers:
http://kieth.smugmug.com/Trucks/66-GMC/i-88F3hp8

Hope this helps....Kieth
Thanks Kieth, I saw one picture of your truck as I was looking through the forum for examples. It wasn't very clear in that pic but I thought it was moved forward. It's just what I was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich 5150 69 View Post
Lenguini just went thru this, http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=mount+holes
the current trend now especially with the big block crowd is to drill new holes centered between the rear and forward holes in the frame/crossmember, clears firewall without crowding radiator, biggest issue with the small block crowd is if they using an old trans mount or generic mount they are short or collasped from age allowing the engine to lean back, so other than tall valve covers everything should clear if they raise the trans tailshaft slightly, we are only talking of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Sometimes engine mounts will affect engine height as well as shown below.
I've seen it done with the big blocks and the radiator clearance was my main concern but looking at Kieth's above, it looks like it won't be a problem. I've got a new trans mount and I'm running a 700r4 so the driveline was an issue I was going to have to deal with anyway.
I came upon this change by accident. I was going to use the original perches and the stock style motor mounts. In fact, I installed the engine with them and was so disgusted with the original mounts that I decided to go with a different style mount. I ordered the CPP tubular perches and new mounts. Looking at them, they appeared to be correct for the original frame holes but after I had removed the old mounts and perches and had the engine hanging from my cherry picker, I found out that they were made for the front frame holes, moving the engine forward about 2 inches. It was getting late and I just needed to get the engine set someway for the night, not trusting the hydraulics to stay up though the night so I went ahead and hooked it up to the new mounts in the forward position. Besides moving forward, they dropped the engine maybe an inch or so also. I like the positioning much better than stock so I was hoping it would work out but I don't have a radiator or front accessories in yet so I wasn't sure. Now I think I'm going to leave it this way. I'd still like some more input if anybody wants to chime in.

I've Done So Much, With So Little, For So Long, That Now I Can Do Anything With Nothing.
pdxhall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:30 PM   #5
ol_skool_chevy

If you like...sometime your welcome to meet up and you can look at mine. mine are set in the forward holes with I think 69-72 frame mounts. Its perfect IMHO..

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:14 AM   #6
kieth

You are welcome pdxhall, the first one is the only picture we had that barely showed the radiator and the distance to the fan. Glad it helped. My engine ended up lower also because we trimmed the frame to use the newer style motor mounts. I think lower is better for handling.......Have fun with your build. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
ol_skool_chevy

Mine sat lower also...and I had to trim my frame mounts slightly to clear my headers....

Built it yourself, don't count on others to to do it for you or with you. It will never get done
ol_skool_chevy is offline   Reply With Quote