The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Throw out bearing question.

Got an S10 throwout bearing in my Astro Van clutch assembly on John Lee.

Occasinally getting sticky at the floor board.

Pulled the inspection pan.

The groove that the fork rides in......

looks like a pulley.

The rear lip is loose, slides in and out of the bearing by hand.

Basically its like the groove of the pully can be wide or narrow.........

It shouldn't be that way right?

i.e. the groove for the fork shouldn't be adjustable width....press fit together to stay the same width of the tines on the fork not slipping in and out and changing width.
Old 02-08-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Re: Throw out bearing question.

A photo of a generic bearing.....

Old 02-09-2014, 02:00 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If I'm understanding you correctly, it sounds like the bearing has come loose from the other piece.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Old 02-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #4
Sharps40
Account Suspended

That's what I think....the rear lip of the groove being like a sleeved arrangement pressed into the bearing....this rear lip forms the ID of the bearing that moves back and forth over the input shaft...except now it moves back with fork motion leaving the front lip and bearing resting forward close to or on the clutch fingers.

I'll shoot pics today, gotta replace the wiper motor anyway since its about to start monsoon season here in central NC and I'm getting tired of turning the wipers on for one or two strokes at a time.....more than 10 minutes continuous use an my ol motor gets hot enough to smell like lectric bacon fryin....I made the mistake of touchin it to see if it was hot. Dayum, I hate when that happens.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Hears pics. Never seen nothing like this but with the occasional stick at the floor I think its broke.

Clutch release bearing as I'm used to seeing them...the groove is sized so that the fork just fits inside it.

With my fingers I can slide the groove/sleeve towards the trans, leaving the bearing forward near the clutch. Here I just used a finger to simply slide the rear of the groove/flange about half the distance to the face of the trans.

Here, with my finger I have moved the flange back all the way to the face of the trans nearly doubling the width of the groove the fork fits in. As you can see, actuation of the clutch moves only the groove/flange back. The bearing is left forward near the clutch rather than carried back away and clear of the clutch splines when the pedal is released.

So, what say you.....is this a defective clutch release bearing?
Old 02-09-2014, 12:01 PM   #6
rustbucket66

Yes, I think the bearing has failed, it shouldn't slide apart like that. If you take a new one out of the box, I think you will find it stays intact and doesn't slide in and out like that. What can cause that failure is having no freeplay in the clutch pedal. This condition will keep constant pressure on the bearing and also reduce the clamping force of the clutch. Very important to have freeplay in the clutch pedal.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #7
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Clutch has 3/4" to 1" of free travel. When released there is no contact between bearing face and clutch fingers....springs pull it up and away and so I spect bad QC....Perhaps I'll just get a McCloud and it'll be good for 100 years!.

Thanks. I figured it was broken...$90 bearing...sholda tac welded it!

Oh well, its under warrenty. Sent pics to the shop...guess we'll stop in for a yank and swap next week!

Although I think I'll tell em to get this $90 bearing from parts geek for $20...same National Bearing too...just overpriced at local counters!
Old 02-11-2014, 11:50 AM   #8
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbucket66 View Post
Yes, I think the bearing has failed, it shouldn't slide apart like that. If you take a new one out of the box, I think you will find it stays intact and doesn't slide in and out like that. What can cause that failure is having no freeplay in the clutch pedal. This condition will keep constant pressure on the bearing and also reduce the clamping force of the clutch. Very important to have freeplay in the clutch pedal.
Looks like ya might be close to the mark. Got a call from the shop. Based on pics they are thinkin either a faulty bearing or cluch fingers pushed in too far. We'll be gettin together soon for a hard look at the part and replacement. Be inneresting to get the final verdict!
Closed Thread