The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2014, 09:08 PM   #1
larey

1980 C10 Inline6 250 Carb vacuum and brake booster

So I saved this 1980 C10 from the salvage yard but it did not have power brakes and was pieced together from the salvage yard. I ordered the CPP brake booster master cylinder combo as it showed to be a bolt on version.....Yeah after about 3 hours of work to take the pedal support out and take off the studs that where there. I am having problems figuring out where I am suppose to hook up the brake booster. After looking at other post I understand it normally goes off the intake so I will keep that open. Besides that I am trying to figure out what on the carb is right and what is wrong. Currently have screws in all types of hoses to eliminate vacuum. What can I just straight cap off and what needs to be hooked up. I also know that I have a shift cable disconnected but it is not long enough to hook up as I think the TH350 came out of a different vehicle.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Larey
Attached Images

larey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
D13

Re: 1980 C10 Inline6 250 Carb vacuum and brake booster

OK, you have an integral head with the staged 2bbl carb.
The brake booster feed comes from the intake, yes, but you need a check valve in between. I'll see if I can remeber where the vacuum source is.
The big pipe on the front of the carb goes to the evaporative emissions cannister.
One of the hoses goes to the air cleaner thermal switch.
If you still have an auto trans then you'll need to get that cable hooked up.
You're missing most of the PVC system. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about restoration of a 6 with all ther emissions, showed some of what you're missing.
You are going to desperately need a factory service manual - NOT a Chiltons or some other book.
Plus a mess o' tractors
D13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #3
larey

So I need an additional check valve for the booster besides the one installed on it from CPP? Like another inline one?

Thanks I have a Service manual now and it has helped already.

Larey
Quote:
Originally Posted by D13 View Post
OK, you have an integral head with the staged 2bbl carb.
The brake booster feed comes from the intake, yes, but you need a check valve in between. I'll see if I can remeber where the vacuum source is.
The big pipe on the front of the carb goes to the evaporative emissions cannister.
One of the hoses goes to the air cleaner thermal switch.
If you still have an auto trans then you'll need to get that cable hooked up.
You're missing most of the PVC system. There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about restoration of a 6 with all ther emissions, showed some of what you're missing.
You are going to desperately need a factory service manual - NOT a Chiltons or some other book.
larey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:31 PM   #4
C10wip

I have a 3 spd manual, and I pulled the plug I'm pointing to and hooked the booster there. It's 3/8" NPT thd on the manifold. In your case I think the line that is screwed into it now goes to the automatic transmission and it looks like there is a bushing screwed into the manifold and the trans line is screwed into that. Maybe you can add a tee in there somewhere. Whether or not that would affect the transmission, I don't know.
Attached Images