The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM   #1
VTX-Black

What changes to make before paint?

If you had a solid 59 Apache with a crappy paint job that you were going to redo, what if any changes would you make before paint?
(aside from fixing any hidden surprises).

For example, I read somewhere something about closing up the cowl vents? I also wonder about adapting modern wipers?

I want this thing to stand up to the weather, be easy to live with and look good
(but no drastic styling mods).

Thanks in advance.
Wayne
VTX-Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
55metalmonkey

Re: What changes to make before paint?

Depends on what you want in the end and how you plan on using it. If it's a summer vehicle that won't see much adverse weather closing off the cowl vent might be something to leave alone but if you are going to drive it all year round then closing off the vent cowl might be worth it. IMHO the only things I would do is upgrade the front brakes to disc and put in an electric wiper conversion.
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
VTX-Black

Thanks

I want it to be able to survive being parked outside in the winter snow if that ever happens. If this is a non issue I can ignore it. (I'm not really sure what the issue is and how big a deal it is though.

As for wipers, is there an easy retrofit, or is it best to plan a cowl mod to accept a newer unit?

P.S.

(I know someone is going to tell me to use the search engine, but this site has become such time sucker for me that I can't bear another confusing search to unearth the hidden gold among the hundreds of interesting posts

I appreciate people's opinions.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
55metalmonkey

A wiper conversion kit will run you about $250 or less and bolts right up to the stock location. There is a way of doing your own using a S-10 motor but unless you know how to machine a few of your own parts, an over the counter conversion kit may be the easiest way to go.

As for parking it outside in the snow I don't see a problem if it's covered. seeing as you are in Ontario if you close off the vent cowl you might want to think about installing AC... 35-40+ degrees will make any fun weekend drive very unpleasent in the summer
I left my vent cowl alone and just opened up the bottom of the duct in the wheel well for drainage and to clear the accumulated crud to keep it from rusting where I cant reach. The advantage of closing it off is that it prevents the inaccesable areas from rusting out on you and it makes the truck look a little more sleek.

and yes the search button is your friend
55metalmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #5
VTX-Black

Thanks

I'm experimenting on the frame of my daily driver next week, using Eastwood internal frame coating. if I like that stuff I will probably hose down every internal body cavity on the 59 with that stuff.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
mr48chev

I'd do almost everything i intended to do to the truck before painting it including engine and chassis work and all the little changes you want to make.

It can be rough on a new paint job when you have engine work, electrical work or even swap out old door handles for new shiny door handles after the truck is painted.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:42 PM   #7
VTX-Black

That's a good idea.

I found a big scrape on the roof where it looks like someone thought the truck was lower than a garage entrance. That needs to be fixed.

Alo, my tonneau cover needs paint.

Fortunately my truck is painted a 2005 factory colour so for now I may just do a colour match on those sections. If later I decide to go crazy with customizing, I'll do a full strip.