The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
mroho

'66 C10 Rear Drum Brake Removal and Disc Swap

Hello all,

Hoping someone can provide some guidance, I tried to search it, but either came up with a ton of front brake swap information or conflicting information.

I'm in the process of swapping out my rear drum brakes in my '66 C10 with some disc brakes from CPP. Can someone please confirm that to remove the rear drums, I need to get into my differential and remove the hubs? Or can this be done by not doing this?

Does anyone know of a 'how-to' or a step by step process available online for this conversion?

Thank you,
Mike
mroho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
jtrichard

Re: '66 C10 Rear Drum Brake Removal and Disc Swap

if your drums wont just pull off then you need to go thru the backing plates and back off the brake adjusters .... you will have to hold the self adjuster arm/lever off of the adjusting wheel (with some hard wire) as you back them off
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
kieth

THE only thing holding the brake drums on are the wheel studs which align the brake drum then when you put the wheel in place and tighten the lug nuts. So the only thing holding your drums in place is rust or the brake shoes. Adjust them out so you can beat the drums off. You may still have to remove the axles to get the new disc brake kit installed. Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:37 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Kieth is correct. You will still have to remove the axles to get the backing plates off, so that you can install the caliper brackets. To remove the axles yopu will have to remove the rear cover. Then remove the retaining bolt for the crossshaft, remove the crossshaft. Then slide the axles towards the center and the C-clips should drop out, and then you can remove the axles.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
mroho

Thanks Captainfab, kieth and jtrichard. Got 'er off!
mroho is offline   Reply With Quote