The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 PM   #1
SourTooth307

Need Full Exhaust System on an 84 K10

Hi everyone, I just bought an 84 K10 Scottsdale from a guy out in PA and I need to do the exhaust system to pass emissions inspection in NJ. I'm pretty much throwing everything from the manifolds back in the scrap heap since the headers are shot and taped up and everything past that is just rusty straight pipes that end after the cab. My truck has an Edelbrock carbed 350 V8, no A/C, pretty much just a water pump and alternator.

I'm looking to do a dual set up with a Y-pipe and a single cat. I'm trying to not go too far over $500 on the parts, and I want the best parts of it to be the headers and the cat. Does anyone know where I can get the parts for the best price? I'm into just grabbing the stuff from a parts store around me but if I can do better online I wouldn't mind going that route. Anyone got any suggestions?
SourTooth307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:38 PM   #2
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: Need Full Exhaust System on an 84 K10

go get a walker exhaust from NAPA and throw it on.. I got a universal cat for mine and it worked fine

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:36 AM   #3
68post

Can you weld ? I build my own exhaust. We built a 2 into 1 exhaust for our stockcar that was a very free flowing exhaust .
68post is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
SourTooth307

Naah, I was looking to just bolt something together.....
Old 02-12-2014, 01:34 AM   #5
rs74

Look at http://www.rockauto.com/ and also http://www.summitracing.com/

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
SourTooth307

I checked out Summit Racing and found a Thrush header-back dual exhaust system (#89024) for $248, a set of headers (#SUM-G9014) for $180, and a universal fit Flowmaster cat (#2900225) for $64.

Now, I'm trying to do this without going too far over $500 so what is the best way to go about this without robbing my truck of too much power? Should I do Y-pipes thing with two mufflers, Y-pipes with one muffler and dual outlets, or just do the true dual thing with two cats? Also, if I do go with the Y-pipes, how much of that exhaust system ends up going to waste?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #7
SourTooth307

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourTooth307 View Post
I checked out Summit Racing and found a Thrush header-back dual exhaust system (#89024) for $248, a set of headers (#SUM-G9014) for $180, and a universal fit Flowmaster cat (#2900225) for $64.

Now, I'm trying to do this without going too far over $500 so what is the best way to go about this without robbing my truck of too much power? Should I do Y-pipes thing with two mufflers, Y-pipes with one muffler and dual outlets, or just do the true dual thing with two cats? Also, if I do go with the Y-pipes, how much of that exhaust system ends up going to waste?
So I did some math and it turns out Y-piping it is a waste of money, I can just have two cats for less and a true dual setup. I found a couple dual exhaust kits that I can simply add the two cats to, but I'm stuck on what to do again....

One system includes Walker Dynomax headers, but exits out before the rear wheels. I can do that one for a total of $480 in parts. Or, I can get a system without the headers that exits out the back diagonally, which is the look I like. I can do that for $556 if I get the Summit Racing headers for $180. Since I'm going to be using my truck for offroading, is there an advantage or disadvantage to either one of those setups?
Old 02-12-2014, 01:54 PM   #8
1slo_camaro

There is a shop down in Cape May, NJ that will build my exhaust from header back however I want (True duals, over the trans crossmember, dumped before the axle) If you want and are not in a huge hurry. I will be home towards the end of march and will be pulling my stock exhaust off and putting on my long tubes and figuring out exhaust. as far as i remember the only issue is one of the studs broke off the driver manifold to the y-pipe. other then that I dont remember any breaks, holes, rust spots or anything. I cannot confirm nor deny cats. I would give you a hell of a deal on my stock stuff so I dont have to deal with it. let me know if you are interested in anything.

1998 Jeep ZJ 4.5 lift 32s full bolt ons awaiting axles

"Life is full of decisions, we make them and dont look back"
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 03:35 PM   #9
ElGracho
Gentleman Jim Driver

I've used these with good results:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wl...olet/model/k10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wl...olet/model/k10

I used Thrush turbo mufflers. (Not glasspacks)
'85 Chev C10 Short Wide - Super plain Vortec 4.8 4L60E trans
also: '81 K30, '83 C30 Crew Dually, '84 M1028 CUCV, '85 M1009 CUCV, another '85 C10 SWB, '89 R3500 Flatbed
ElGracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 04:50 PM   #10
SourTooth307

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
There is a shop down in Cape May, NJ that will build my exhaust from header back however I want (True duals, over the trans crossmember, dumped before the axle) If you want and are not in a huge hurry. I will be home towards the end of march and will be pulling my stock exhaust off and putting on my long tubes and figuring out exhaust. as far as i remember the only issue is one of the studs broke off the driver manifold to the y-pipe. other then that I dont remember any breaks, holes, rust spots or anything. I cannot confirm nor deny cats. I would give you a hell of a deal on my stock stuff so I dont have to deal with it. let me know if you are interested in anything.
I can't wait that long unfortunately, I've got less than 30 days to get my truck through NJ inspection. I think I found a configuration that works and puts me $20 under my budget through Summit Racing. Looks like I'm going to go with the kit that includes the FlowTech headers, and the two Dynomax super turbo mufflers with the exits before the rear wheels. I'm also going to go with the dual Flowmaster universal fit cats......
Old 02-12-2014, 05:45 PM   #11
1slo_camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourTooth307 View Post
I can't wait that long unfortunately, I've got less than 30 days to get my truck through NJ inspection. I think I found a configuration that works and puts me $20 under my budget through Summit Racing. Looks like I'm going to go with the kit that includes the FlowTech headers, and the two Dynomax super turbo mufflers with the exits before the rear wheels. I'm also going to go with the dual Flowmaster universal fit cats......

DAMN SORRY dude. I will be home the first weekend in march and could rip the exhaust off then if that would help. the parts are just going to sit til my next scrap run so if I could help someone out I would prefer that. But if you are set on buying new then hell go with it. Good luck.

1998 Jeep ZJ 4.5 lift 32s full bolt ons awaiting axles

"Life is full of decisions, we make them and dont look back"
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #12
SourTooth307

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro View Post
DAMN SORRY dude. I will be home the first weekend in march and could rip the exhaust off then if that would help. the parts are just going to sit til my next scrap run so if I could help someone out I would prefer that. But if you are set on buying new then hell go with it. Good luck.
Yeah I want a dual setup, but thanks for lookin' out.