The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
kda2000

High Hump / Shifter question

I am working on a 68 stepside project, it currently has 250/3-speed. I want to change it to a 4-speed (SM465), which I have 2 of (and the other related parts that are needed). I'm contemplating swapping in a '68 307 that I also picked up, but I have one question that I have not been able to find an answer to:

Since the V8 mounts forward from the 6-cylinder location, and the 6-cyl is longer, this will move the transmission forward as well. So does the cross member where the bellhousing sits have to be moved forward as well or are there 2 sets of mounting holes? for both a V8 and a 6-cylinder as there is the engine mounts? and are there two different high humps, one for the 6-cylinder shifter position and one for the V8?

I think I have seen the shifter coming up though the flat part of the hump, and other coming up further forward right where it turns up toward the firewall. Is this is 6 vs 8 difference?

Sorry, I guess that's 4 questions. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Ken
kda2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:10 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: High Hump / Shifter question

There is only one High Hump. There are many different shifter locations. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
Hawghauler

You will have to mount the tranny first no matter what. Once you do, then measure from the front of the bell to the current mount location, then measure the block. Then you can move the mounts as needed. Moving the crossmember would be a major pain, if you include having to modify or replace the drive shaft to accommodate the trans location.

1967 c10 Longbed (Hawghauler/Icy weather transport)
2003 BMW K1200GT (Rain bike)
2007 Softail Deuce (Sun bike)
2009 Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Everything else bike)
Hawghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:00 PM   #4
SS Tim

To sum it up.
The 4x2 C10-30 forward engine mount locations are different for a V8 (forward) and the I-6 (aft).
As built from the factory there are two locations for the rear engine mount/manual transmission crossmember. Again V8 (forward) and I-6 (aft).

The same applies to the automatic transmission locations.
There are two diffent trans. lengths plus the V8 vs I-6 difference, so that makes four different auto trans crossmember locations are possible.

In all cases the crossmember difference between V8 and I-6 application locations is 3.82"

As far as the 4x2 manual shifter location on the hump. V8 sticks are (forward) at the angle joint were as I-6 are (aft) flat on the hump.

Many people who have changed engine families over the years often use the rear I-6 location for a V8 to prevent drilling rivets or modifying drivelines. It is workable just not factory.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 08:37 PM   #5
kda2000

Thanks -- exactly the information I was looking for -- complete with measurements!!!

Much appreciated,
Ken
kda2000 is offline   Reply With Quote