The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #1
bcumberland

Beware LMC Dipstick

Hello all, haven't posted here but love the boards

Thought I would let everyone know of an issue I had. A couple weeks ago I was checking the oil in my truck (recently rebuilt) and saw the oil was low. Very low! Not registering on the dipstick, and where are the fill lines. There's not a big pool of oil under the truck so WTF. After giving this a couple days thought I came to one conclusion and, of course, my dipstick had broken.

So I called the guy who built my engine and he said he bought it from LMC. They dropped the oil pan and found 2 pieces of dipstick. We could actually break the dipstick fairly easily. Probably heat treated incorrectly

Don't buy the chrome dipstick from LMC!
bcumberland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #2
In The Ten Ring

Re: Beware LMC Dipstick

I have a strong aversion to anything from LMC. My door handles spotted after just a couple of years of being garage kept and my tailgate trunnions (right word?) didn't fit at all. I had to go back to the steel ones that came with the truck.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
dujobu

How exactly did the tailgate trunnions not fit? I bought a pair of them along with a new LMC tailgate and just tried to install the gate and the trunnions don't fit in the round part on the tailgate. Very puzzling and frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
I have a strong aversion to anything from LMC. My door handles spotted after just a couple of years of being garage kept and my tailgate trunnions (right word?) didn't fit at all. I had to go back to the steel ones that came with the truck.
dujobu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
Lee H

Not sticking up for LMC, but, If the lower dip stick tube was not reinstalled as part of the rebuild any dip stick will break. The lower tube stabilizes the dip stick below the block into the pan and keeps it away from the crank counter weights.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #5
BlacklandCamper

Stick with Mr Gasket for chrome dress up stuff. Never had an issue, and easier to get.

Donkey: 93 Nissan D21, the farm truck. My 1/2 ton SWB. The Indomitable Datsun.
1st BN 3rd MAR. '00-'04
BlacklandCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
Trucolur

LEE H IS RIGHT !!! I had the same issue of dip sticks getting broke ?? Come to find out after the second nod a old timer was around when we dropped the pain and he spotted it right off !!! It's something to think about or check !!
Trucolur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
burnin oil

It is a good practice to remark the dipstick. When you change the oil next time fire it up and check for leaks. Shut her down and let it sit. Remark the dipstick. I have an oversized pan so my stick is marked at 6 an 7 quarts.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote