The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #26
In The Ten Ring

Re: New to me 72 K10

Congrats!
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:51 PM   #27
i82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadheadNM View Post
How quickly does it fire-up in the AM when the temp is below freezing? My trucks are in hibernation for the winter. Every so often I go to start those things (like yesterday was in the 40's here) but it's a real bear even with starting fluid and both rigs have rebuilt Q-jets, HEIs, and complete heat riser setups. The battery does crank slow in the K5 though.
Not too hard to start with the manual choke, but I do drive it pretty often. Do your trucks have functional chokes? i did not realize what a huge difference a choke can make.
i82much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #28
i82much

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
Congrats!
Thanks! Fyi, West By God is my favorite state. got family in Pocahontas county, can't get back often enough.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:29 PM   #29
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Not too hard to start with the manual choke, but I do drive it pretty often. Do your trucks have functional chokes? i did not realize what a huge difference a choke can make.
Thanks - I believe my chokes are functional but are the old coil spring type. I should take a closer look at them though.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #30
i82much

Quote:
Thanks - I believe my chokes are functional but are the old coil spring type. I should take a closer look at them though.
Good luck with it. You are lucky to live in such beautiful country!
Old 02-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #31
burnin oil

Quote:
Don't forget to pump the gas before starting to set the choke. If everything is working it should fire right up. I used to pump the gas twice and the motor would usually catch. On my manual choke holley I manually set the cable and pump twice. Fires right off. With the bigger cam in there it does have a tendancy to stall a couple of times. After a few seconds it will catch and let the fast idle hold it.

Most issues I have had with Qjets is the choke falling shut to far. This was mainly an issue with a hot start. I had one that was wore out that I couldn't get to work right. I eventually wrapped a paper clip around the air cleaner stud with the end holding the choke flap from falling shut completly. Back in the day I used to see alot of guys sticking a pencil through the choke till it started. Just don't forget to pull it out!
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote