The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2014, 12:08 AM   #1
chvyboy

Exclamation Water pump help!!!

Feel silly for asking this but I started my 383 stroker for the first time today and I ran hot and not to mention fairly fast! So I'm wondering if I used the right water pump. I am still using the v belt system. Do I use a clockwise rotation on counterclockwise? Looking at the engine from the grille the engine spins clockwise

More info
-185 thermostat
-3 core aluminum radiator
-383 stroker 475 hp
- aluminum water pump
-electric fans with 185 thermostat
- everything is brand new

Ps and advice on how to dishonor this issue of heating up quick is much appreciated

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post5031992
chvyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:01 AM   #2
Daman

Re: Water pump help!!!

Did you keep the sending unit in the head? If so did you drill a 5/16 hole in the thermostat to let any bubbles evacuate? If not there could be a bubble and some take forever to get out. The only other way to skip if you don't want to drill is to fill from the intake then drop in the thermostat, wipe dry and seal it up.

The only reason I ask if it's in the head is I see a lot of people putting it in the intake and that does you or your engine no good.
Daman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
burnin oil

Re: Water pump help!!!

Should be standard rotaion. Your timing is probably off some. It sounds almost like you are doing a break in run and over heating is pretty common. Timing and mixture off combined with no airflow with electric fans (usually not enough movement of air) and what you saw is pretty normal. Double check the radiator doesn't have an air bubble, reset timing, and fuel mixture then take it for a ride. If the cooling issue still is around then dig in deeper. If the power out put of your motor is realistic then there is a good chance that your cooling system is marginal at best. There is alot of head generated.

I run my temp sensor in the intake but only because the sensor wouldn't fit my new heads. Once may new gauges get installed it is going back into the head. Infact I just put the sensor in this weekend.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote