The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2014, 11:48 PM   #26
Slow Build

Re: Whats the cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Get an I6, its ain't JAFSB, its More!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.J. MCCAULEY View Post
AMEN BROTHA! Preach it like it is!
Personally I'd take JAFSB any day of the week.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:58 AM   #27
luvbowties

Smile Re: Whats the cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokestudent View Post
Ok so if you notice my post earlier the truck broke down today. I let the truck sit and then start it up and it purrs perfectly then I start having the same issue again pull over and it was making this noise
Truck noise 1963 c 10 - YouTube
Did the same thing earlier too. I am thinking oil pump going out since it takes a while to start doing this? I check the oil and the level is fine I just had an oil change etc so I am at a loss here guys.
Ok, sounds like you want a logical-sounding diagnosis along with an easy fix. First, a[note, it says "a" diagnosis: one of many!!!] Diagnosis: Sounds like gunk is in your oil pan, and after running a while, the oil pump's pickup-strainer pulls that crap onto its screen, stops it up and causes engine to starve for oil. Hopefully, the crank journals/bearings have not yet suffered seriously.

An easy fix: drain oil & filter out completely & replace the pan plug & new filter. Pour a gallon of carb-cleaner(the soaking-, smelly kind)into crankcase & let it sit over a weekend. DO NOT START ENGINE AT ALL WHILE THE CARB CLEANER IS IN THE PAN. ITS FUNCTION IS JUST TO SOAK THE PAN-AND-SCREEN AREAS & SOFTEN UP/DILUTE THE STOP-UP-PARTICLES; THEY ARE NOT UP HIGH IN THE ENG., BUT DOWN IN LOWER PAN AREA. After weekend has passed, then drain the oil pan 'containment' completely, kinda like overnight. Re-fill with a detergent oil , start it up & let it run until it reaches oper. temp., and drive it** about 12-15-18 miles--drive it about 45-50 mph tops, ensuring you vary the speed up and down (20-30-40-50-40-30-40-50, etc., as if you want to get poor gas-mileage. Bring it back and immediately drain it again, filter et al, while it is still HOT. Let it drain overnight.

Re-fill with good oil & filter, and repeat the 12-18 mile trip--speeds et al. Come back & immediately drain oil & filter again--leaving it to drain overnite again. Next day, fill with good oil & filter again. Test drive & listen for noise--it hopefully is now gone.

**If it makes the death-rattling sound, pull over & stop for a few minutes. Re-start, & continue the drive if the sound has quieted. Again, if it becomes noisy, repeat the pullover/stop for a few, and re-start & try again. Etc. May take a while to make it the entire trip--but I sincerely doubt it will.**

This procedure will not harm your engine as long as you do not accelerate hard, pull hard hills, over-rev the eng, or keep driving if death rattle is yelling to "give me a few minutes' rest while the blockage drops off my screen".

I've used this procedure several times, on 300/six-Fords, 3.8 GM FWD V-6's, Chev V-8's, Olds 260/350/455's, Pont. 301's and 400's and 455's, Buick 350's and 455's, Nova 250(230?) six's, slant-6 Mopars, and probably a couple others. Never had one fail to respond favorably; and on some, I saw them continue running well for several years afterwards.

Good luck to you. Let's hope this one guess(of many possible ones) was a lucky one & that the success rate continues. Bear in mind, it's as difficult to diagnose on-line as it would be to diagnose a dog's symptoms--his hurting belly could be a bruise? or a ruptured spleen? or he ate green apples? or he was a she, & was pregnant? Maybe you might let us know your outcome. A more proper method if the diagnosis-guess was correct would be to pull the pan, clean it out(using carb cleaner would work then, but cheaper & just as effective fluid could be found for that), clean out oil-return holes under valve covers, & replace the pickup screen AND oil pump. ###This method I described above just saves the labor: ever pulled a pan from a 300-six out of 65-75 Ford pickups??? Hafta just about completely remove the engine--so, in these Fords, this carb-cleaner method could save a $2000-job!###

Again, good luck to you. This system works if you work it!!!
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #28
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
Personally I'd take JAFSB any day of the week.
Thats okay. The world needs followers as well as leaders.
Sharps40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #29
Slow Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharps40 View Post
Thats okay. The world needs followers as well as leaders.
We are all entitled to our own opinions.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:11 PM   #30
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Yep...but mines always right! Had a 64 with a V8 so its difficult to hate....would still have it/be driving it but for some Illegal Aliens. But, overall the 65 with I6 is the better choice for daily use.

Last edited by Sharps40; 02-16-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:36 PM   #31
imjeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokestudent View Post
Was not trying to start a new thread, just that I got it running again and this noise pops into the picture. Kind of related kind of not I do not know....My issue is it does not always make this sound when it first starts up and is running it purrs beautifully. This is after like driving it for 30 minutes this starts. I can drive it around town all day but taking it out of town it does this. If it were the bearing (and correct me if I am wrong) but wouldn't it do it all the time?
Not sure what the poster is after. Three posts on the same truck in the same time frame with three concurrent problems that aren't mentioned in other posts. "Had oil changed"? So the truck has an oil light coming on, dies like it's running out of fuel and knocks after it's warmed up. The poster apparently doesn't change his own oil, uses too light an oil and doesn't understand that these three separate issues may very well, and probably are, related. My only advice given the available information....step away from the truck. Get someone who knows these engines to take a look.
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:45 AM   #32
63burban
Chevy addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjeff View Post
Not sure what the poster is after. Three posts on the same truck in the same time frame with three concurrent problems that aren't mentioned in other posts. "Had oil changed"? So the truck has an oil light coming on, dies like it's running out of fuel and knocks after it's warmed up. The poster apparently doesn't change his own oil, uses too light an oil and doesn't understand that these three separate issues may very well, and probably are, related. My only advice given the available information....step away from the truck. Get someone who knows these engines to take a look.

X2

As a side note, I have also heard similar sounds from a loose flywheel.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #33
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Build View Post
We are all entitled to our own opinions.
leave sharps alone, not only did he give a how to on blowing up a six he also told us how to buy a new one and spend a couple months tinkering with oil leaks.

buddy I am just playing sharps, peace!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:25 PM   #34
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Dayum cheep gasoline! Now I only buys good gas but I still gots leaks. If it wassa an 8 itd have even more spots ta leak! Betcha I coulda cracked 6 pistons simultaneously inna 8! Never gotta chance though cause bandits got my 8 first.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #35
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Hey guys....I am not trying to be a control freak here...but this thread is 2 pages long...and the original poster has not responded. I say we let this thread die until he returns with his progress. My buck and a half.
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:15 AM   #36
Sharps40
Account Suspended

He's prolly feelin crushed. Just bought his first square body truck and right quick it starts to death rattle. I know how I felt when Ol John Lee died and then when I blew an engine in the replacement truck. Its lika kick in low hangin fruit.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:32 AM   #37
tincan1966

I've talked to him several times away from the forum. Even tho I was a bit harsh at first.
We're planning on bringing his truck to our shop to find out what's really going on with it and see if it is terminal or not.

Since talking with him, he's a good young man, just working a lot and trying to get into the hobby.

A lot of people here, including myself, think we're "experts" and need to stop an realize we all started at the same place.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #38
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincan1966 View Post
since talking with him, he's a good young man, just working a lot and trying to get into the hobby.

A lot of people here, including myself, think we're "experts" and need to stop an realize we all started at the same place.
+1000!
Old 02-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #39
TJ's Chevy
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tincan1966 View Post
I've talked to him several times away from the forum. Even tho I was a bit harsh at first.
We're planning on bringing his truck to our shop to find out what's really going on with it and see if it is terminal or not.

Since talking with him, he's a good young man, just working a lot and trying to get into the hobby.

Thanks Tincan...Glad you have been able to talk with him..I had PM'd him my number if he wanted to call me and never got a respond. Hope ya'all figure out the issues!
TJ's Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote