The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Ryan99

Question about wiring and paint/body work

I'm probably a ways off from either of these, but I'm trying to get an idea how to plan this project out. Right now I'm in the middle of redoing the suspension on my truck.

In order to get it driving (and inspected) it's going to need a considerable amount of rewiring. I could try to make the old wiring work, but it seems like a wasted effort. The old wiring is a rat's nest of a disaster. I'd like to buy a wiring kit and rewire the whole truck.

Eventually, I'd also like to have the cab blasted before I start any real body work. Would it be a waste of effort to rewire the whole truck, before later tearing down the cab to get it ready for blasting?

If I were to rewire it after blasting, is this something normally done after painting or would it need to be done and taken back apart anyway when I'm going to shoot paint.

Just trying to get an idea of how to proceed. I'd love to get this thing driving before I start body work, but I'm not sure if rewiring and then taking it all back out is a stupid plan.

I'm new to this so go easy on me.
Ryan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:49 PM   #2
gimmy 64

Re: Question about wiring and paint/body work

if you rewire and strip it to paint you will have to undo all of the wiring.but if you are going to drive it for a while and then tear it apart go ahead.
gimmy 64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
dougf

Well, heres my advice. If you get the cab blasted, who knows how long it will be before it gets back together. One year, maybe even three or more. I would rewire the truck, planning it out so its neat and clean and secured with clips so you can easily remove everything when it comes time to take things off to blast/clean/repair/replace. This way you can enjoy your truck!

I made the mistake of tearing into my '66 too soon, removing the front clip, and now its one thing after another that I see to replace, paint, rewire, repair, etc...

Enjoy your truck! Make it mechanically sound, rewire, and drive that sucker!
dougf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
PGSigns

Mine was in the same shape. Not much of value in the stock wiring. I rewired the 65 using the American Auto Wire classic update kit. Came out great. One thing about that harness is if you strip the cab for paint it will come out pretty easy. My vote is to rewire and drive. Don't worry about getting the harness out later.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
murphy98

I'll second what PGSigns said, I also used the American Auto wire Classic update kit for my '62. Really great kit, well made with very good instructions & diagrams. Good tech support as well should you run into any questions not covered in the instructions. I'd rewire & drive for awhile & get the feel of the truck & what modifications you may not have considered but may want to make. I know if I had been able to drive my truck before I tore it down I would have made the decision to convert to power steering during my restoration rather than doing it now after my truck is all done.
Here is a link to the complete harness kit. Good luck!
http://www.americanautowire.com/shop...66-chevy-truck
murphy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
Ryan99

Awesome. Thanks, guys. I think that's what I wanted to hear, just wanted to make sure it wasn't stupid to go that route.
Ryan99 is offline   Reply With Quote