The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
Dova

Branded title?

If you put a 70 body on a 71 frame and had the state inspection would the title be branded?
Dova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:27 PM   #2
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Branded title?

Not here in Texas. They usually go by the vin ID plate.

Lots of vintage/antique vehicles have had various parts replaced, modified and completely changed over in the past but as long as the vin ID plate is there that's what the vehicle is. Back in the 60's I had an old 56 Mercury I made into a beach buggy. I took all the sheet metal off and cut the front cab but left the windshield and front firewall. I also cut the frame by 32 inches and put a homemade bed on the back. It was still a 56 Mercury when I sold it.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #3
Tinkermc

Should be a 70 model from the cab numbers. I am sure in Va. it would be a 70 and no branding.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #4
Dova

Ill have to look up the laws in WA state. That's the story I'm getting on a rig I'm debating looking at.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:04 PM   #5
Dova

The story sounded off from the stuff I've read on here in the past
Old 02-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #6
NobleSix

probably not, but call the DOL and ask. i often thought of making one solid cancer free cab, between my 67 and my 69. the 69 is inspected registered and titled, but i like the way the 67 looks more than the 69. plus my 67 has a sway bar, a nicer stance, rims, etc. technically, if i swap the cab from the 69 over to the rolling frame of the 67, its still the 69...kind of... the numbers on the frame better not be the same as those of a stolen vehicles, though. you also have to ask yourself....whens the last time the avg. cop asked you if your cab's vin matched the frame? and then checked?? also then, what in the heck are you even doing to draw THAT much attention? a fourth/fifth one might be do you think the avg. cop would know the difference between the two just by looking at, or even care? if so.. see question 3.

if you havnt had an inspection yet, and all you have is parts and want to make a functioning vehicle, then get what numbers you can, and state your case to the DOL over the phone, ask them to see if they come up as stolen. if they do, well, turn em in.

oh, before i forget, do you have a title?? bill of sale?? anything???? if not...

if they are not stolen, tickets, leins, w/e, the worst case, you will have to surrender the truck to the city or w/e, but if all goes smooth, then youll need to send a registered letter to the previously titled owner(s) of either vehicle(s). basically this is to show that you attempted to make contact with the p/o, and if it comes back un opened, you may then get the vehicle inspected and pending a passing inspection, (of one complete vehicle) you may register the truck in your name. after you register it in your name, you may have a title issued in your name after i think its 3 years after the initial date of registration.

best of luck to you. ive acquired 2 trucks for basically the cost of inspections and reg/ titling fees, and you can too, because washington is awesome!

R.I.P. Corey "Flattus Maximus" Smoot 11/3/11
You will be missed. Your sound lives on.
NobleSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 PM   #7
franken

You mean bonded? Never heard of branded titles...
In TX a bonded title is issued when you don't have a title and jump through some hoops as well as buying a bond.
franken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

We placed a 68 GMC body onto a 72 Chevy 4X4 frame here in Washington. We had both titles and had it inspected as the law required. When we asked what it would be titled as, they asked us what did we want to title it as. We chose to call it a 72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4, so that what it was titled as. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #9
hugger6933

Branded title that is the correct term for a title that has a designation like salvage, damaged, previous damage, rebuilt and so on and so forth. Those title designations are different from state to state just as the title laws are different as to what classifies them as such. even within one state they may change quite often [I think just to keep us dealers and rebuilders on our toes] Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #10
Dova

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobleSix View Post
probably not, but call the DOL and ask. i often thought of making one solid cancer free cab, between my 67 and my 69. the 69 is inspected registered and titled, but i like the way the 67 looks more than the 69. plus my 67 has a sway bar, a nicer stance, rims, etc. technically, if i swap the cab from the 69 over to the rolling frame of the 67, its still the 69...kind of... the numbers on the frame better not be the same as those of a stolen vehicles, though. you also have to ask yourself....whens the last time the avg. cop asked you if your cab's vin matched the frame? and then checked?? also then, what in the heck are you even doing to draw THAT much attention? a fourth/fifth one might be do you think the avg. cop would know the difference between the two just by looking at, or even care? if so.. see question 3.

if you havnt had an inspection yet, and all you have is parts and want to make a functioning vehicle, then get what numbers you can, and state your case to the DOL over the phone, ask them to see if they come up as stolen. if they do, well, turn em in.

oh, before i forget, do you have a title?? bill of sale?? anything???? if not...

if they are not stolen, tickets, leins, w/e, the worst case, you will have to surrender the truck to the city or w/e, but if all goes smooth, then youll need to send a registered letter to the previously titled owner(s) of either vehicle(s). basically this is to show that you attempted to make contact with the p/o, and if it comes back un opened, you may then get the vehicle inspected and pending a passing inspection, (of one complete vehicle) you may register the truck in your name. after you register it in your name, you may have a title issued in your name after i think its 3 years after the initial date of registration.

best of luck to you. ive acquired 2 trucks for basically the cost of inspections and reg/ titling fees, and you can too, because washington is awesome!

He's asking a couple grand for the truck. I haven't went and looked at it. He says its "branded" because the owner before him put a 69 body on a 71 or 72 frame
Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #11
Dova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic Heartbeat View Post
We placed a 68 GMC body onto a 72 Chevy 4X4 frame here in Washington. We had both titles and had it inspected as the law required. When we asked what it would be titled as, they asked us what did we want to title it as. We chose to call it a 72 Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4, so that what it was titled as. WES
Thanks Wes, I was hoping you'd chime in. I thought so too, that if you built one they'd either ask or say it was the newest one or wht the cab said. As others have stated I also read and thought a branded title was salvaged rebuilt or whatever. From what ive read it sounds like it was wrecked then fixed because the laws se to support that. If he got it state inspected and it passed the inspection it should have been titled as either a 69 or 71-72 whichever the frame was
Old 02-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
Tinkermc

In Va. there are branded titles for instance there is a salvage title meaning this vechile at 1 time was not in a condition to be safe on the highway, ofyen from a wreck or flood.
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:00 AM   #13
19673ontree
CAN'T FIX NOTHIN

Ive done this before as long as you have a title tbat matches the vin plate ,
19673ontree is offline   Reply With Quote