The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #1
chevylover2013

Title Issue

I know this is not your normal question here in Chevy Land, but I need some advice on what to do. This does involve a Chevy truck so I am kinda in the right place! LOL!

I was purchasing a 83 Step Side Chevy from a friend. (Payment Plan)

This truck had a severe title issue. It was sold by the son of a deceased man. The deceased had 4 kids. The "Original Buyer" had a heirship paper signed by all 4 kids, but only one actually signed the title. The "Original Buyer" lost the heirship paper. So he never got it put in his name.

Along comes my buddy "Chris". Chris buys the truck from the "Original Buyer" that lost the heirship paper. (Bill of sale, signed the title in the proper places and all for a second sale on the title.) Still no heirship paper.

Along comes "Mike" (Me). Mike buys the truck from Chris in payments of $200 a month or $1500.00. 3/4 way through complete pay off, Mike trades the step side for a running 1991 Dodge Ramcharger.

Chris signs over title to new buyer and takes the title to the Ram as collateral. Bill of sale and all for the "Trade".

NOTE: Mike and Chris tell the owner of the Ram the troubles he faces with the Chevy title. Person states he does not care! If he cannot get the title in his name, he would just use the parts for the other truck he is building.

Months later! Mike pays off Chris, and gets Ram title from Chris.

Ram title was not signed because the original owner of the Ram is in Afghanistan. Person that traded me is best friends with the title holder of the Ram.

He claimed the owners wife would sign the title any time I was ready for her to and give me a power of attorney to show proof she had the right to sign in place of her husband.

Present Day! The person that has my step side is ignoring me because he foolishly sank 4k into the chevy and (as I told him would happen) is having troubles getting the title in his name due to the son signing the title of his deceased father. With no heirship papers.

Now this guy is playing games. Him and his best friend who's name is on the title. He is telling me (pretty much) that he has no wants to sign my title until his is done and in his name. This was not our agreement.

I was totally honest with this guy. Even having Chris tell him what was going on with the title to the truck. I cannot fix the Dodge, nor sell it without the title. That would be as stupid as me trading without the title being signed.

What can I do?

Anyone ever have this happen?

I want to sue him for my damn truck back. At least the heirs "will" sign the title, I just have to track them down. These guys will probably never sign unless I sick legal on them.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Restrorob
The One And Only !!!

Re: Title Issue

What a mess !

First, You can't legally get back what you never legally owned, Providing a signed title AFTER selling/trading to the other guy won't work either......

Sell the Ram for parts and chalk the loss up as a learning experience, NEVER buy/sell/trade vehicles without a clear title period..... The other guy was a fool putting money in a truck without a clear title in his name.....
88 TA-GTA in the works....
97 GMC Ext. Cab
502 Crate 5 Spd......Sucks Gas But Haulz Azz !

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic.

"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!

Last edited by Restrorob; 02-22-2014 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #3
S10Fan
Old Heap Driver

No clear title, no purchase, never ever. After the purchase and title is safely in your name, then you can spend money on said vehicle.

Sounds like you have two options, write off the money as a lesson learned or see a lawyer. The lawyer option will involve more of your money down the drain.

'99 Silverado 1500, 4.3, 5-speed, reg cab, short bed
'50 Chevy 2DR Hard Top, 350/350, M2 Front End, 3:08 gear, cruiser.
'40 F**d Sedan, all Chevy power, Heidt's front end, TCI rear, nice driver.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
andrewmp6

Your kinda screwed hate to say that,Chris didn't legally own the truck so its hard to sell something you don't own on paper.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 AM   #5
J Knight

I think your best hope is to file for a bonded title(just my guess) for the square but that could take a year to be cleared up. Otherwise you guys own parts trucks. It sounds like its a bad deal all the way around.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #6
kalbert

I say crush the Ram, and forget about the Chevy. Lesson learned, the hard way.You'll know better than to get involved in shenanigans like this again.

Payment plans with anyone other than a bank=bad
Vehicles with a title that requires four paragraphs to explain=bad
Old 02-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
riz

no offense but if you don't have the money to buy a vehicle then don't do it! you sound like you broke every rule in the book in this deal. chalk it up as a " I'LL NEVER DO THIS AGAIN " moment and move on and do it right from now on.

RIZ
Old 02-22-2014, 12:14 PM   #8
RandyP
Getting Old; Going Broke

Now if that Nigerian bank would just hurry up and send you the $500,00,000 you're getting for just the $1000 you wired them... All would be fine and dandy.
When the going gets tough, switch to power tools.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

unfortunately this board does not give legal advice and therefore any advice given by any member here is a mere suggestion. The only thing that we can say here is consult a lawyer in your area who may be able to give you the law and your options as they apply in your state

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
Old 02-22-2014, 02:34 PM   #10
chevylover2013

Just sending a Thank You out!

To all that sent "advice" on the title situation I done got myself into.

I wanted to thank you all but the thread was closed for whatever reason?

O well! Thank you guys so much for the input.

UPDATE: The titled owner of the Dodge emailed me on Facebook last night and is not playing games. They had a death in his wife's family. he wants it out of his name as bad as I want it in mine.

Thanks again fella's! I am not normally this stupid. I just trust my gut instead of my brain when it comes to people sometimes.

Take care all!