The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Zonaman

Fuel prssure questions:

Trying to get the fuel pressure to my edelbrock 1406 right. I put a Mr. Gasket fuel guage on the line and It's jumping like crazy. Is that normal for a mechanical fuel pump? Next question what's a good pressure regualtor for that carb?

Thank you.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
leftybass209

Re: Fuel prssure questions:

Do you know the condition of your fuel lines? Also, where is your fuel filter located in relation to the regulator, and is it dirty? Do you have a lot of garbage in your tank? Lastly, did you install it correctly, and do you think it may just be a defective gauge? As far as what regulator to run, it's kind of a preference. Some people use small in-line regulators. Others run larger fender or firewall mounted regulators with a lot of extra fuel line. What symptoms was your 1406 having previously? There is a thread covering fuel issues to that carb, and they were kind of split. For hard hot starts and carb boil, Half said if you install a phenolic spacer under the carb it will fix it, other say no, you have to use a regulator. Still again, others like myself have no spacer, and no regulator, and it ran like a champ before I did a tear down. Best of luck and keep us posted!
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #3
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonaman View Post
Next question what's a good pressure regualtor for that carb?
Page 3, #6 in the installation instructions.

http://static.summitracing.com/globa...s/edl-1406.pdf

However, I've seen cats on here have to run as low as 4 psi on their Edlebrock carbs.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
Zonaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftybass209 View Post
Do you know the condition of your fuel lines? Also, where is your fuel filter located in relation to the regulator, and is it dirty? Do you have a lot of garbage in your tank? Lastly, did you install it correctly, and do you think it may just be a defective gauge? As far as what regulator to run, it's kind of a preference. Some people use small in-line regulators. Others run larger fender or firewall mounted regulators with a lot of extra fuel line. What symptoms was your 1406 having previously? There is a thread covering fuel issues to that carb, and they were kind of split. For hard hot starts and carb boil, Half said if you install a phenolic spacer under the carb it will fix it, other say no, you have to use a regulator. Still again, others like myself have no spacer, and no regulator, and it ran like a champ before I did a tear down. Best of luck and keep us posted!
Thanks for replies. Fuel lines good, tank new and clean, fuel filter regularly changed and in front of regulator. I guess I installed the (inline) gauge (inline) gauge correctly - you bolt it into the fillting with a fuel reistant thread sealer after the regulator. I suspect the current regulator is not working because adjusting it does not change fuel psi (about 8 lbs). The guage I asked about is jumping and I wanted to know if it's picking up the mechanical pulses of the pump. What say you?
Old 02-22-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
hugger6933

Thar 1406 won't like anything much over 6lbs and will override the needle a d seat and flood like crazy. the regulator turned[way] down to 4.5 to 5.5 wil make the Eldebrock most happy. If you can find one of those regulators with the dial on the side the just requires turning to change and a good glass type filter as close to the cab as possible help out a lot. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote