The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2014, 02:50 AM   #1
omgitsemmanuel

Frame and engine need to register

I know this question might sound wierd but do I need the stock frame and engine to register a car back into dmv system that isnt in there anymore. I have a 1961 apache that my dad use to own and it was given to me but it is not in the dmv system. I had a friend who they made him cut a piece out of the floor of his vehicle so he could show proof that it was the original frame, it was not a c10 though, and was wondering if i have to do that because i want to put a newer frame on mines.
omgitsemmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
cortcomp

Re: Frame and engine need to register

Where the heck do you live where that is a thing!?

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=550931
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #3
Casaba

Just brought a 66 back to life after 10 yrs. they had a form that I needed a cop to fill out verifying the VIN on the body and that it was attached with rivets. No frame check but this was in Georgia also known as Free America. YMMV
Casaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
tincan1966

Different states all have different laws. Best place to check is with your state DMV.

Kansas has what they call an MV 1 form which the Highway Patrol fills out to verify the VIN is not stolen, currently registered to someone elsea nd is correctly attached. I have not had one check the frame numbers, but I would GUESS that was because mine appear original. I am sure an obviously modified vehicle would draw more scrutiny.

We get all our paperwork in order BEFORE we do any work on the vehicle, in case there is a problem. I highly recommend that. make it LEGAL first then fix it up.

No use wasting time and money on a vehicle that could be impounded or possibly destroyed by the state. (it can and does happen)
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #5
63burban
Chevy addict

I went to the DMV with a title from 1976, obviously it was out of the system but it was in my name. They gave me a new title and I sent that in for collector plates, no sweat. I usually get the title only at the DMV before I do anything else, send it in for plates when I'm ready to go. Doing it this way I never have trouble.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:08 PM   #6
omgitsemmanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortcomp View Post
Where the heck do you live where that is a thing!?
I live in California by the bay area. And ya they made him verify the frame number in his impala which has the number on top of the frame
Old 02-22-2014, 01:45 PM   #7
padresag

open this link and click on California and do a little reading
http://www.bipac.net/page.asp?conten...olbox&g=SEMAGA
the nbr on the frame that the DMV needs to correspond with your vin tag should be on top of the frame by the steering box
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:29 PM   #8
jtrichard

In calif. if it is NOT in the system just go to DMV get a duplicate pink/title form fill it out in your name (as if it was yours for years) with the VIN# and PLATE# if it has one ... calif. does not use engine#s ...dont tell them about dad or anything else and they will give you a new title DONE DEAL .....now if you change the frame they have a form for that you will have to have DMV or most likely CHP do a vin check and they will assign a new vin#... as for cutting the floor thats BS. i have seen CHP use mirrors to see the #s

Last edited by jtrichard; 02-22-2014 at 06:37 PM.
jtrichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
omgitsemmanuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichard View Post
In calif. if it is NOT in the system just go to DMV get a duplicate pink/title form fill it out in your name (as if it was yours for years) with the VIN# and PLATE# if it has one ... calif. does not use engine#s ...dont tell them about dad or anything else and they will give you a new title DONE DEAL .....now if you change the frame they have a form for that you will have to have DMV or most likely CHP do a vin check and they will assign a new vin#... as for cutting the floor thats BS. i have seen CHP use mirrors to see the #s
thats a really good idea. Thanks