The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #1
nxtruck

Rebuilding automatic steering column

Can anyone give me any pointers or advice on rebuilding the automatic steering column in my '65 C-10? This is new to me, as I've never had a column apart before. I also haven't seen much in the way of parts for these columns, so I'm hoping someone can give me some direction for that, too.
Thanks in advance!
1965 Chevy C10 LWB, 355 sbc, TH350, daily driver
nxtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

Re: Rebuilding automatic steering column

LMC has most of the wear parts you will need. I haven't had one apart but have rebuilt one. I wish I could be of some help to you, it was about 3-4 years ago.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
chevyrestoguy

Chris-
They are a pretty simple deal when you get them all apart. They are supported by a bearing at the bottom and the top. The lower bearing can be purchased on-line (I got mine on ebay). The upper bearing is part of the turn signal assembly, and I would suggest taking a good look at your current one to see if it's serviceable. If it's not, replace it. They are primarily made of plastic, they wear out, and they can get brittle over time. I recommend replacing it. You will need to remove the gear selector, so drive out the pin and slide the handle out. Don't lose the little spring! Also, keep track of your gear selector bulb wire (I think it's the dark green wire, but don't quote me) and see how it routes through the assembly. Your bulb will have a green translucent rubbery outer cover that glows green onto the shift lens whenever the dash lighting is illuminated. Remove it carefully and set it aside. Replace the bulb and reinstall the outer cover.

Once you get the turn signal assembly out, you will see the cowling/fairing attach points. Turn it to the left about an inch, and it will release. Slide the cowling off.

Being as your column is an automatic one, remove the neutral safety switch. If the column is worn out, replace the switch because the contacts can get worn out over time, and you'll be moving the gear selector around looking for the "sweet spot" where the pins make contact and the truck will start. A new switch solves that issue.

On the lower part of the column, you will see two "half-moon" clamps that are secured with 2 bolts each. Once you remove those, the column outer tube will separate from the steering shaft.

If you plan to paint the column, now is the perfect time. Also, now is the perfect time to replace the foam gasket that seals the column to the floor. Just make sure you put the gasket and the metal retainer on to the column before you stick it back together. If not, then you're stretching the heck out of the gasket to get it over the lower column after you've put it all together.

If you're planning on going with a different transmission than the Powerglide, you can get the shift lens for the 3 and 4 speed automatics. The font for the 3 speed lens is exactly like the rest of the gauge cluster. The 4 speed lens has the later font, and it looks exactly like the ones that GM used in the '80s vans.

For the reassembly, replace the lower bearing at the bottom. It's a ball bearing deal encapsulated in a thin metal shell. It pops in place, no need to press it in. For the rest of the column, just reverse the disassembly process. Here's a link to a thread about changing out the lower bearing:
http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/...&Number=649533

And here's a link to one of the companies who sells the bearing:
http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1960-1968.html

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527

Last edited by chevyrestoguy; 02-17-2014 at 11:12 AM.
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
nxtruck

Thanks for the replies, fellas!
Clyde65, after looking in my Truck Shop catalog a little further, I did see some column parts listed (namely, the lower bearing). Thanks for the heads-up!

chevyrestoguy,
I can't thank you enough! This is a great description that you gave for going thru one of these columns. Based on the info you listed, I believe I may have traced the problem I'm having with this column. I believe the lower bearing is shot, and from what you're saying, the column will have to come out to replace it. I replaced the turnsignal switch last summer, which included the upper bearing, but didn't go any further than that. The steering shaft still has some play in it, which causes the t/s cancelling cam to catch on the pivot cam, and also causes some erratic popping when turning corners with the truck. I'm hoping that replacing the lower bearing fixes it.
Thanks again for all of your help!!
Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #5
pimpston65

i never had the green bulb cover, im rebuilding mine and have time to put it on, where can i get one or should i look for a colored bulb???
pimpston65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:13 PM   #6
nxtruck

Well, I took the column out of the truck this evening and, sure enough, the lower bearing is wasted. It has a bunch of play in it. I didn't take the column apart yet, but it seems as if the steering shaft will just slide out of the bottom of the column tube. Is this how it's supposed to come apart, or is that because of the lower bearing being gone? Either way, I did order a lower bearing, column seal, and a neutral/backup switch from LMC and will go through it one evening this week.
Thanks again for all of the help!!

pimpston65,
My column was missing the green bulb cover, also. I'm not sure if or where these can be found.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:16 PM   #7
pimpston65

i will PM a couple of senior forum members and get back with yea
Old 02-19-2014, 02:13 AM   #8
nxtruck

OK, thanks!
Old 02-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #9
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxtruck View Post
Well, I took the column out of the truck this evening and, sure enough, the lower bearing is wasted. It has a bunch of play in it. I didn't take the column apart yet, but it seems as if the steering shaft will just slide out of the bottom of the column tube. Is this how it's supposed to come apart, or is that because of the lower bearing being gone? Either way, I did order a lower bearing, column seal, and a neutral/backup switch from LMC and will go through it one evening this week.
Thanks again for all of the help!!

pimpston65,
My column was missing the green bulb cover, also. I'm not sure if or where these can be found.
Chris-
The shaft will slide out of the column tube. It's essentially captured by the steering box at one end and the steering wheel nut on the other.

This was the first automatic '60-'66 column I've ever had apart, and mine had a rubbery green bulb cover. I've never seen another one. If you can't find one, I would suggest getting a green Sharpie and lightly covering the outside of the bulb. it'll have the same effect. Just don't go too heavy on the Sharpie!

My build threads:

Old 02-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #10
pimpston65

sharpie idea is great, i did some searchin and found one, i bought off ebay there wasnt any more, so they are out there
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
pimpston65

hey nxtruck, i just ask a member that wanted to change his colum to a floor shifter on the parts board, if he would be willing to let the bulb cover go, if it was still intact. waiting for a reply
Old 02-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #12
nxtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Chris-
The shaft will slide out of the column tube. It's essentially captured by the steering box at one end and the steering wheel nut on the other.

This was the first automatic '60-'66 column I've ever had apart, and mine had a rubbery green bulb cover. I've never seen another one. If you can't find one, I would suggest getting a green Sharpie and lightly covering the outside of the bulb. it'll have the same effect. Just don't go too heavy on the Sharpie!
chevyrestoguy,
Thanks again for the help! After spending last evening looking at your build thread on your '64, I have to say... you've got MAD skills!! lol VERY nice work on your truck. I especially like how you connected your brake pedal to your brake booster; very creative!!
I think I will give the Sharpie idea a try.
Thanks again!!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #13
celeste

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyrestoguy View Post
Chris-
The upper bearing is part of the turn signal assembly, and I would suggest taking a good look at your current one to see if it's serviceable. If it's not, replace it. ]
Is the upper bearing something that can be ordered if it is not serviceable? Is it available anywhere. The only thing that I could find on LMC is part 34-0771. It is described as turn signal cam without tilt? My truck is a 1966. Any suggestions if this is not it?
www.fquick.com/celeste
celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:00 PM   #14
nxtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpston65 View Post
hey nxtruck, i just ask a member that wanted to change his colum to a floor shifter on the parts board, if he would be willing to let the bulb cover go, if it was still intact. waiting for a reply
pimpston65,
Thanks for keeping an eye out for one of these covers! I'm going to try the Sharpie idea first and see how that turns out. Glad you were able to find one, though!
Old 02-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #15
nxtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by celeste View Post
Is the upper bearing something that can be ordered if it is not serviceable? Is it available anywhere. The only thing that I could find on LMC is part 34-0771. It is described as turn signal cam without tilt? My truck is a 1966. Any suggestions if this is not it?
celeste,
When I replaced the t/s switch in mine, it came with the upper bearing already in it. Classic Parts does offer it separately, though. Their part # is 76-815. According to my catalog, it sells for 9.95. You may want to check with them on the price, though, as my catalog is a year or so old. Other vendors may offer it separately, also.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:14 PM   #16
celeste

thanks, checked the part online and it says Inner bearing at top or bottom of steering column. Used on 64-72 Chevrolet and 67-72 GMC? Why does it say top or bottom?
www.fquick.com/celeste
celeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 11:46 PM   #17
TommyDuncan

I recently noticed that my shift indicator light isn't green also. The heater controls look so nice green that I need to fix that. I bought a cheap tach once that had a few different color lightbulb covers with it. I know they are around here somewhere...
TommyDuncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 12:04 AM   #18
DPowers
One foot in front of the other

Might try these guys.

http://www.columnsgalore.com/index.htm
DPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:01 AM   #19
nxtruck

Quote:
thanks, checked the part online and it says Inner bearing at top or bottom of steering column. Used on 64-72 Chevrolet and 67-72 GMC? Why does it say top or bottom?
You may want to call them and verify what their website is saying. My catalog lists a part # 76-821 as the lower bearing, so I'm not sure why they have it listed that way on the website. You may want to check with some other vendors, as well. I've had good luck in the past with the Truck Shop, among others.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:03 AM   #20
nxtruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPowers View Post
Thank you, sir, for that link! I had never heard of them before. Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #21
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
chevyrestoguy,
Thanks again for the help! After spending last evening looking at your build thread on your '64, I have to say... you've got MAD skills!! lol VERY nice work on your truck. I especially like how you connected your brake pedal to your brake booster; very creative!!
I think I will give the Sharpie idea a try.
Thanks again!!
Thanks for the kind words, Chris. I love the challenge of trying to make something work better while still using factory parts. I try to keep from ordering out of a catalog as much as I can. That can get real expensive.

My build threads:

Old 02-20-2014, 11:12 AM   #22
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
I think (don't quote me) that the '67-'72 columns have a dedicated upper bearing that's not part of the turn signal assembly like it is on the earlier columns that we have in our trucks. The '67-'72 columns have an upper and lower bearing, just not sure if they are the same size and part#. Knowing GM, they probably are. Those guys were sharp back in the day.

My build threads:

Old 02-23-2014, 02:04 AM   #23
nxtruck

Well, my parts showed up around noon today and then I tore into the column. They really aren't that bad to work on once you have it laying on the work bench in front of you. My lower bearing was completely gone and the shift detent mechanism at the bottom of the shift tube was in bad need of lubrication. I replaced the lower bearing, lubriplated the upper shift collar, lubed the detent mechanism, replaced the neutral safety switch, and put it back together. Success!! Everything works as it should, the shifting is smoother, and, best of all, no more popping and catching noises coming from inside the column.
I want to thank the guys that replied in this thread for the help; especially chevyrestoguy! Your description of tearing into one of these columns really helped me!!
Thanks again guys!!
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #24
chevyrestoguy

Quote:
Well, my parts showed up around noon today and then I tore into the column. They really aren't that bad to work on once you have it laying on the work bench in front of you. My lower bearing was completely gone and the shift detent mechanism at the bottom of the shift tube was in bad need of lubrication. I replaced the lower bearing, lubriplated the upper shift collar, lubed the detent mechanism, replaced the neutral safety switch, and put it back together. Success!! Everything works as it should, the shifting is smoother, and, best of all, no more popping and catching noises coming from inside the column.
I want to thank the guys that replied in this thread for the help; especially chevyrestoguy! Your description of tearing into one of these columns really helped me!!
Thanks again guys!!
That just made my day! They're pretty simple when you get them apart, but there are a few tricks you'll learn along the way. It's always good when you pull something apart and put it back together and it turns out better than expected.

I'm always happy to help, and I'm glad it worked out for you!
Alex

My build threads:

Old 02-23-2014, 03:06 PM   #25
jamesrussell26

i needed these part numbers for my rebuild thanks
jamesrussell26 is offline   Reply With Quote