The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
bretcopsey

Lowered 1951 3600, replaced drive train-drive shaft question

My 3/4 ton originally had a 2 piece drive shaft. This weekend I finished installing the small block/T5 combo. I have already replaced the original axle with a 8.2 that is flipped on top of the springs. The lowered stance is what is causing me concern. I had originally planned to use a one piece shaft, but it looks like that would interfere with the cross member that holds the drive shaft support bearing. My question is how others have coped with this? I'm not really looking forward to clearancing the cross member, building a tunnel etc. if it can be avoided by going with a two piece set-up. The overall distance to cover is about 65".

My 68 Camaro project
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2277404/1
bretcopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 PM   #2
OrrieG

Re: Lowered 1951 3600, replaced drive train-drive shaft question

Since my truck went the opposite direction, rear driveline was not an issue, but I did have to notch the trans crossmember for the front at extreme axle compression. From what I have seen most guys that lower the trucks end up notching or modifiying the center crossmembers. You can use the center bearing set up, but do you really want that hanging down that low? I would mock it up and see if it is will be exposed to steep drive approaches, etc. Last thing you need is it hanging up on something and pulling the shaft out of the tranny or getting knocked of alignment.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote