The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
dondons84

1975 k10 restoration and upgrades

OK. So I picked up a 1975 k10 and it is a restoration project. I have paint issues , rust issues, a leak from my engine that is oil, and lots more to worry about with this truck. I took pictures yesterday of it and pulled the 2 captain chairs to make sure I didn't have that underneath my seats. I'm good there so I cleaned them scrubbed and put down some primer after sanding just because it was bare metal practically. Next step is to put in a new thermostat and to fix my leak in my engine which is from the oil pan. New gasket not to spendy. After that when it warms up I'll be pulling the cab and fixing up the rust issues, cab noise issue and making sure I am insulated. Doors will be redone with new seals and trim also along with front windshield . I will be repainting the whole truck inside and out updating the electrical and making this rust bucket a beauty once again. Biggest hurdle I have is just patching up rust and updating electrical and making sure everything is tight. I'll post pictures later since I can't do it from my phone. Hope to have everyone along for this ride
dondons84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
dondons84

Re: 1975 k10 restoration and upgrades

OK who here has installed an aftermarket stereo? My presets reset when I turn off the ignition. Also post cut the CIG lighter plug so what do I connect to?
Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #3
85mudder

Get a test light and find a wire that is hot with the key off...make sure you hook the wires on the radio up right or it will be on all the time, or you will lose your memory, there is a lot of good information here, search and you shall receive!!
85mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 PM   #4
dondons84

Thanks. Problem I am having is he labeled on as hot. But this dude comes off as a big idiot. I will take pictures of it tomorrow . the hot one has tons going into it and I have no idea if this dude was s moron or just a complete freaking idiot who just wanted to use it for wheeling
Old 02-27-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
imjeff

There is an "ignition hot" wire on your radio that is wired to an ignition source. There is another wire that should be hot all the time that holds your presets. The ignition wire is obviously already hooked up. You need to find out which wire (.believe it's blue, but can't recall) needs to have power all the time and hook it to a constant source.

Jeff
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #6
gmachinz
Account Suspended

My K10 project was in similar condition...looked like 20 or more greasemonkeys had their way with the truck. My only option was to gut everything out of it and gather original used parts to make it right as far as stock goes as a starting point before upgrading. Maybe that would be a good option for ya...it may save you a lot of headaches down the road.
gmachinz is offline   Reply With Quote