The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #1
xaircav

Heater control valve needed?

I installed the heater that came in a box when I bought my truck after putting a 12 volt motor in it. I installed a cable operated control valve in the supply heater hose and the heater puts out adequate heat when the blower motor is on. When the blower is off and the valve is open the heater box is only warm to the touch. Will I need to shut off the hot water in the summer? I'd like to eliminate the control valve.
xaircav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Pete1stark@yahoo.com

Re: Heater control valve needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaircav View Post
I installed the heater that came in a box when I bought my truck after putting a 12 volt motor in it. I installed a cable operated control valve in the supply heater hose and the heater puts out adequate heat when the blower motor is on. When the blower is off and the valve is open the heater box is only warm to the touch. Will I need to shut off the hot water in the summer? I'd like to eliminate the control valve.
The water is circulating thru the heater core all the time when the engine is running. if you shut off the valve make sure the water that stays in the core isn't just water. It'll rust it out. If you remove the valve it will circulate hot fluid all the time, even in the summer. Can be a little uncomfortable
Pete1stark@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote