The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-25-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
Donaldo

AD Hoods

Are there definate yearly differences in the way the 1947 through 1954 hoods mount ?

thanks, Don
Donaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #2
Iceburgh

Re: AD Hoods

Not really how they bolt. 54 has diffrent holes up front for the larger emblem
Iceburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #3
MARTINSR

Also as we have found the larger trucks had a different hood completely. So seeing a hood sitting there for sale you could mistakenly bring home a 1.5 ton hood and its different. Also of course GMC, let's not forget to mention they are different where the grille fits against them. I know it's obvious but you never know, someone could not no this.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
Lextech

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The larger trucks have a different hood completely. So seeing a hood sitting there for sale you could mistakenly bring home a 1.5 ton hood and its different. Brian
Very True. One way to tell is: The BIG truck hoods have a pointed edge at the rear lower edge where it meets the cowl and fender. The small trucks have rounded corners.

Jeff
Lextech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #5
mr48chev

The big truck hoods are also longer and the bottom edge is higher to match the raised tops of the 1-1/2 and two ton fenders.

Here is a big truck hood sitting on my 48

Bottom corner of Big truck hood

You Can see the the rounded corner of the 1/2 to 1 ton hood.

With a 54 hood I had sitting on it.

The 54 hood actually fit better than the louvered hood that goes to it.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:02 PM   #6
FarmerSid

Nice post mr48chev.

My Build: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632938
FarmerSid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #7
Donaldo

It turns out the really nice hood I got for my '51 is a '47 or '48, the front Chevrolet badge is cast/chromed pot metal, and the hood side badges say Chevrolet Thriftmaster. I found the hood spring hinge tabs were bent in and they hinges were not fitting right - slowly figured it out. Straightened the tabs and it all fits nicely. The hood has a 'rocket' ornament on it, were any of these original or were they added later ?

Thanks to All for the good info,
Don
Old 02-26-2014, 10:36 PM   #8
MARTINSR

Do you have any other photos of that large truck hood on there? Like is the width correct over the tops of the fenders? And exactly what is the difference, it looks to be about 2.5 inches higher. I am thinking it may be a good start for my 2.5 inch sectioned truck.

Brian

Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 AM   #9
mr48chev

Right now I'm not sure that the curve of the bottom edge of the big truck hood matches the small truck fenders. I like the front slope of the hood a lot better but a guy will have to trim at least a couple of inches off the back of the hood to even begin to get it to work.

My idea for when I section mine is to use the bottom few inches from one of the small truck hoods I have and use the top part of that hood or another big truck hood I have I think I have three extras, I was out back looking to see what I have the other day and there were two or three big truck hoods and four small truck hoods.
I think this hood fits the fenders pretty well but someone did a tap dance on the middle of it at some time before I picked it up with a pair of doors and pair of fenders a couple of years ago.

If I get some time this weekend and the weather cooperates I'll see if i can play a bit with a big truck hood and small truck fenders and see how far off they are.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:20 AM   #10
MARTINSR

You have peaked my interest. I have two hoods to use and have a plan on how to do it that I think may work well. But darn that big truck hood has me thinking, very interesting!

I have to tell you the photo of your truck with the lady and two kids in front of it is just wild, I swear it could darn near be a photo from my album of my truck and family! It's like we were separated at birth or something! LOL

Brian

Old 02-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #11
mr48chev

That is my wife my late son John who was about 8 at the time and my Daughter Kerri who will be 35 in July. The photo was taken in 1982 at the Vintiques of Yakima Unrun which in those days was a laid back gathering and pot luck out in a park the first Saturday of October. One of my favorite photos.

Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #12
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
That is my wife my late son John who was about 8 at the time and my Daughter Kerri who will be 35 in July. The photo was taken in 1982 at the Vintiques of Yakima Unrun which in those days was a laid back gathering and pot luck out in a park the first Saturday of October. One of my favorite photos.
So sorry about your son my photos are at that exact time too! It's wild how similar they are. And yes, they represent wonderful times.

Brian

Old 02-28-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
Old Crow

Any of you guys with extra hoods who wants to sell the hood latch panel and braces from the front of one of them please PM me. The wrecking yard wants to sell me a whole hood and all I need is that panel, the hood latch and catch and the two round braces.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #14
Donaldo

At the rear underside of the hood there is a cross beam with space for some form of anti-rattle/insulation, for the life of me I cannot find it in any of the current catalogs wish books I have - anyone know what it's called and where to get it, or make it ?

thanks, Don
Old 02-28-2014, 08:50 PM   #15
OrrieG

On TF they have some rubberized fabric in the gaps. May even have some asbestos in it. If you live near a metro area you might see if you can find someone that sells high density safeing insulation, used for fireproofing gaps in building fire walls. Specialty commercial building supply companies would carry it.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:39 PM   #16
Donaldo

What I have seen is a lot like the insulation, if it can be called that, inside the cab on the roof, only twice as thick. Like an asphalt/oil product impregnated matting.

On another note, I was able to ID the hood ornament on the new hood, it's from a '49/50 Fleetline, my second most favorite vehicle - since it's already got the holes in the hood... I guess it's going to stay !!

Don
Old 03-01-2014, 12:33 AM   #17
mr48chev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldo View Post
At the rear underside of the hood there is a cross beam with space for some form of anti-rattle/insulation, for the life of me I cannot find it in any of the current catalogs wish books I have - anyone know what it's called and where to get it, or make it ?

thanks, Don
That may be something akin the stick on stuff that a lot of the guys are putting on the inside of their cabs to insulate it, Think thick tar paper slipped in there to keep the sheet metal on the hood from vibrating. My grandfather was frugal, I think he had a stick
wedged in there in his hood to keep it from rattling or maybe to wedge it up enough to get engine heat on the windshield.