The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
jssmayne

502 mounting brackets

I have a 71 C20 with a 502 crate motor, that i purchased about a year ago. it has recently started throwing the water pump/power steering pump belt after i had tightened it. Upon further inspection the belt is skewed off to one side so i am assuming i have the wrong brackets for the water pump. The water pump measures 5 1/8 inch from the block to the belt. I plan on putting back in the AC in the future so would like to keep both the alternator and the power steering pump on the drivers side.
Any suggestions on kits or just brackets for my setup? Has anyone swapped over to a serpentine setup? Is it worth the price?
Attached Images

jssmayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #2
steelhorse

Re: 502 mounting brackets

Your best bet on a serpt belt setup would be to hit the boneyards and find one from a Suburban or 3500. Not sure if the small block setups will work but I am sure someone will chime in soon to let you know.
steelhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
myyamr7

Something looks way off with that. I just got done setting up my big block with PS and AC, your alt belt should go over the water pump pulley, and the PS is the one that should go around the crank pulley only. It looks like you have the wrong water pump pulley, and need the add on PS pulley for the crank
myyamr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #4
midniteblues

you have the top of the alt on the wrong side of the upper bracket.the aluminum ear on the alt should be in front of the upper bracket.
bb are backwards from sb's.

it looks like if you swapped it around your belt will line up correctly.
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #5
jssmayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
you have the top of the alt on the wrong side of the upper bracket.the aluminum ear on the alt should be in front of the upper bracket.
bb are backwards from sb's.

it looks like if you swapped it around your belt will line up correctly.
This belt is staying on fine but if it is installed incorrect i can definitely fix it. So pull out the bolt put the alternator ear in front and tighten back down?
Old 02-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #6
jssmayne

Quote:
Originally Posted by myyamr7 View Post
Something looks way off with that. I just got done setting up my big block with PS and AC, your alt belt should go over the water pump pulley, and the PS is the one that should go around the crank pulley only. It looks like you have the wrong water pump pulley, and need the add on PS pulley for the crank

Agree completely!! I want to get everything in proper working order! When i purchased the truck it had this set up, the truck ran just fine and kept the belts but the PS had a horrible squeal. After i tightened it is when it started throwing the belt. I’m willing to swap it all out; problem is my knowledge is very limited! Do they have a kit for a complete swap pulleys, belts, etc. Also i would love to replace my old worn out looking PS pump as well. Any recommendations would be great!! I was thinking about going with the Billet Specialties 12320 pulley and bracket but am not sure if it will fit my PS pump.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:45 PM   #7
myyamr7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssmayne View Post

Agree completely!! I want to get everything in proper working order! When i purchased the truck it had this set up, the truck ran just fine and kept the belts but the PS had a horrible squeal. After i tightened it is when it started throwing the belt. I’m willing to swap it all out; problem is my knowledge is very limited! Do they have a kit for a complete swap pulleys, belts, etc. Also i would love to replace my old worn out looking PS pump as well. Any recommendations would be great!! I was thinking about going with the Billet Specialties 12320 pulley and bracket but am not sure if it will fit my PS pump.
You can buy everything new on ebay pretty reasonable that is OE fitment (but reproduction), or keep an eye on the sale section here. I like the original parts, so I would start with the correct brackets for the big block and your year truck, and see if they fit correct to the pulley's. If not, then you'd need to get the correct pulleys. From what I've read, the 68-70 cars with big blocks use the same PS and Alt brackets as our trucks, and the short style water pump.

This is my 71 with all OE brackets. The parts store gave me the wrong Alt belt, so that's why it isn't on.
Attached Images

myyamr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #8
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jssmayne View Post

I have a 71 C20 with a 502 crate motor, that i purchased about a year ago. it has recently started throwing the water pump/power steering pump belt after i had tightened it. Upon further inspection the belt is skewed off to one side so i am assuming i have the wrong brackets for the water pump. The water pump measures 5 1/8 inch from the block to the belt. I plan on putting back in the AC in the future so would like to keep both the alternator and the power steering pump on the drivers side.
Any suggestions on kits or just brackets for my setup? Has anyone swapped over to a serpentine setup? Is it worth the price?
Most of the individual brackets you need are available here:

https://www.streetrodhq.com/

You'll have to scroll through the 50 or so different billet serpentine systems they offer but the big block brackets are available there.

The alternative is to purchase outright the serpentine setup for that engine from GM performance parts. I can tell you it fits, tracks true and saved me a great deal of aggravation when I built my trick.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fitz; 03-01-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote