The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
Blue666

How Does this come apart?

I'm getting ready to do some patch work on my front fenders.

I found a few spot welds at the bottom & several more up top. Are there any spot welds down the sides or does the fender crimp keep it in place? I don't have any specialized body tools, what is a good way to remove the fender crimp w/o creating a bigger mess?

I'm trying to remove the brace/support/stiffner so I can weld in the patch.
Attached Images

Last edited by Blue666; 03-06-2014 at 06:26 PM. Reason: forgot part of question
Blue666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: How Does this come apart?

use some sandpaper on the inside edge to find the spots.
the ones on the fender crimp I do not try to drill, I just do 2 little v cuts, and then grind off the leftover piece.

sometimes the spots on the bottom of the brace are weak from rust and break off .

also the dust guard -the piece with the rubber stapled to it is held on with those parallel looking clips, you can stick a screwdriver in them and spread them to get them off.. however the clips usually break.

leave the brace there, you will need it in place to line the patch up.

repair/patch and treat the inside of the brace before you weld the patch back on.

hang the fender on the truck, and make sure the patch lines up with the rocker, ( you need the door hung to get it all lined up) ...or use the rh fender (placed door edge to door edge) to line up the patch....

take a look at my fender patch on my sub build thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=448681&page=8 , post # 184 page 8, that is probably the way you need to do yours.

all you really need for tools is a drill, an angle grinder with a cut off wheel, and a welder.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote