The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-06-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
oldcane
Account Suspended

Another seat swap thread.

Needing to replace a later model bench seat in my 69. It sits way on up there and I need it to be a couple of inches lower than what I remember the stock height being. I see the tahoe/silverado seats that I like, the center seats, the bonneville and so on. Ideally I'd like non-electric and something not needing and fabrication, just new holes.

1-what would you do or have done? I've seen the giant thread on seats but most guys added no detail.

2-if I do get electric is there room in the stock fuse box to connect them?

Buckets are fine. Bench is ok. Again, ideally a center jump/armrest w/cupholders in maybe a 60/40.
oldcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
brawley
Easy Does It

Re: Another seat swap thread.

1988-98 chevy truck bench seats work , front hole lines up just need to drill out for rear holes,
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #3
Hugh Mongus

Tahoe third row seats. Still working an a center console. Hoping to have it done this weekend.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
oldcane
Account Suspended

Yeah, I saw these. That looks great. Have you looked at a hump hugger?
Old 03-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Hugh Mongus

No, is that a console? I am building my own so I can install a down firing sub in the bottom of it. I'm not much of a carpenter though, so it's going a little slow. There is also tubing that runs the width of the seats that would prevent me from setting anything directly on the floor between the seats.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
oldcane
Account Suspended

Yeah, I had to go back and look at your thread I saw the other day. I was just getting ready to paste in this picture and ask exactly what you did. You laid square tubing in there and then.....just pretend I have no idea what you did from there and explain....

Are you saying you welded that in? Bolted it to the exisiting bracket, etc? And the 1/8" drop, is that from laying flush or did you have to shim the front?

And yes a hump hugger lays on the hump. Console, cup holders, etc. It won't work for you here.

Somebody had mentioned a dodge ram jump seat to fit in there.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #7
Hugh Mongus

I removed the brackets from the factory bench. I didn't want to damage them in case I ever wanted to reinstall the bench seat. I used thin wall 1.5" square tubing on the front and 1/8" x 2 x 2 angle in the back. I drilled holes to match the mounting holes in the seat brackets and bolted all that together with 3/8" grade eight bolts and stainless nyloc nuts. Then I removed all the brackets from the bottoms of the seats and matched the holes on the front with the tubing and drilled holes through the tubing. I mounted the front with long bolts through the tubing into the factory threaded holes int he seats. The back required a square piece of flat bar be welded onto the angle then holes drilled in it to match the factory threaded holes in the back of the seat. I have not welded these in yet. They are bolted to the seat and this forms a sort of clamp to the rear angle. It is secure this way, but I will definitely be welding them in to make sure they stay where they need to be. Once I get these pieces welded in I will soda blast the whole thing and paint it.

Is that clear as mud?

Last edited by Hugh Mongus; 03-07-2014 at 12:22 PM.
Hugh Mongus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
oldcane
Account Suspended

Now I see what you mean. When you said angle I was thinking...angle. You mean a piece of angle iron as we used to call it. Now I can see it that I understand what you did. This is excellent. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
Hugh Mongus

You're welcome. I will be taking this out this weekend so if you need any pictures let me know what you need and I'll get them for you.