The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
slowcpe

'67 side mirror ???

My truck did not come with side mirrors and a PO had the holes filled in. Not sure how they drove a small back window truck with no side mirrors or I'm just not man enough to. Fortunately I can see 2 of the 3 holes on the drivers side but not on the passenger. I should be able to figure out placement off of that.

On with the questions:

I purchased a set of "sport" mirror arms from a board member and a set of round 5 -5/8" round mirror heads from So. Ky. Classics. I did not notice until yesterday while I was painting the arms that they are different lengths. The passenger side is longer than the driver's. Is that suppose to be correct or do I have two different arms? Not knocking the seller, just curious if that was the way they came from the factory or I have a mismatched set? Its real hard to tell the length difference until I lay them side by side.

Also, how do the arms screw in? Do they require nuts or do the screws simply clamp down on the sheet metal? I haven't taken the door panels off yet to reach back and see. I purchased new mirror bolts from So. Ky Classics as well along with gaskets. I didn't see any type of nut/washer kit.

Installing these are next on my list and just trying to get some insight.

Thanks in advance.
1967/71 Blue SWB C10..SOLD
1977 SWB K10..my grandpa's.....never should have sold
slowcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
Daddy Brim

Re: '67 side mirror ???

I think the passenger side arm is longer. You will need to get a backing plate for each side. It has nuts on it and goes on the inside of the door.

67 C-20 Custom Camper
68 Nova 396 it does wheelies
2005 Buick Century the one the wife drives
1989 Toyota Tercel to drive when I can't put gas in the first 2.
Daddy Brim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #3
slowcpe

Thank you!

I kind of figured one was longer than the other, but never heard or read that anywhere.

I think I found the backing plate I need. I will order them in the morning.

Thanks again!
Old 02-25-2014, 01:34 AM   #4
michael bustamante

on most 67's there was no passenger side mirror installed on the door. even on my 67 custom truck there were no holes on the passenger side door for mirrors. You might also notice that there might not be a passenger Sun Visor or the holes to mount it in the cab
Old 02-25-2014, 01:46 AM   #5
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Before you get the door panels off, check your SPID (inside the glove box on the inside of the lid) for clues as to what it came with, if noted.

If that isn't fruitful, get the door panels off and you will see any places where a mirror had been at one time and later filled.
And, yes you will need backing plates or your mirrors will vibrate and drive you nuts.

ET's 2¢

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:37 AM   #6
michael bustamante

X2 on the backing plate. my driver side had one and I'm thinking it was tack welded to the door but I'm not sure but I can tell you for sure the passenger side door did not have the backing plate on it nor the holes in the sheet metal.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
slowcpe

I didn't think about the truck only coming with one mirror. That might change my mind a bit on a passenger side mirror.

The spid is there but not very legible and most of it has been cutout for a chevy bow tie sticker.

The truck does only have the drivers side visor and I'm going to leave it that way. It appears to have been a pretty base model.
Old 03-08-2014, 12:16 PM   #8
michael bustamante

Yup. 67 base models have some luxuries ( safety stuff) missing. Black knobs, 3 guage cluster no arm rests. ( but if you take off the door skin youll still see the holes but only on the driver door) no pass. Sunviser. Blah blah. BUT these base models are sought after cuz theres no chrome! Alot of people like the painted look.
So in conclusion.... if it is a base model it most likely never had a pass. door mirror
Plus as you work on your 67 and hunt for parts you will notice there are a lot of 67 only parts. If you need any help. Let me know