The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #1
terbronco7

Windshield install "HELP"

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldnt find another post like it,

Ok going to try to install my windshield on my 65 soon and have never done one before is there any guidance as to what I will need to do the job and any tricks to help it go as smooth as possible. I dont want to break the new shield cause although it was relatively cheap from "LMC" it was not cheap to ship!

Any help would be greatly appreciated "pictures would help alot"
Thanks.
terbronco7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
Mike Wessinger

Re: Windshield install "HELP"

Been thinking about the same thing myself, for when I get that far with mine.

There is some info here about it though: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559408

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=512379
Old 03-09-2014, 08:40 AM   #3
rustbelt

The PO of my 61 had run a thick bead of caulk and just set the windshield on top and pressed down. Safe-lite quoted me a price of $100 to remove, clean and install correctly.
They did a great job, no leaks. Well worth the $100 to me to not have to try it myself.
rustbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
tincan1966

Just had a new tinted, shaded windshield installed in our '65 shop truck. $214 with new rubber gasket, installed and they came to me!

As for the original question by the PO:
it's worth the money to have a professional do it.

Also, I sure hope you didn't buy the rubber from LMC.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:56 AM   #5
duallyjams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustbelt View Post
The PO of my 61 had run a thick bead of caulk and just set the windshield on top and pressed down. Safe-lite quoted me a price of $100 to remove, clean and install correctly.
They did a great job, no leaks. Well worth the $100 to me to not have to try it myself.
In my area Safe-Lite won't do anything that has a rubber gasket, I called every glass company in the Washington, Baltimore, Virgina area.

I did it myself with the help from a friend that restore cars and it was still a PITA.

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
duallyjams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:59 AM   #6
terbronco7

Thanks guys this will help bunches!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #7
tincan1966

Sorry to sound like I am bashing LMC, BUT You will need to be EXTREMELY careful installing their glass. Most of it is China made and VERY thin and brittle.

I know the windshield I just had installed was Chinese, too, I saw the tag, but I had the professional install it.
The lower corners (which have to be done first) are where you will have the most trouble and the best chances of breaking it.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:11 AM   #8
sigshooter

It is fairly easy, I have done a couple and one not too long ago.

Put the gasket on the windshield, lube the gasket with dish soap or something on the part that will seal to the cab. Place a small rope about the size of a lawn mower pull start rope in the groove of the that seals on the cab. Go all the way around the groove and over lap it. Next place the windshield in at the TOP of the cab ( you will need a couple people to help hold the glass up to the top and apply slight pressure in) start pulling the rope from the inside of the cab and pulling the Los of the rubber in place. A plastic "knife" and a metal pick such as a radiator hose removal tool helps in getting the rubber in place epically around the corners. Pull the rope all the way around until the glass is seated in.

Be sure and start at the top if you start at the bottom the glass will hit the over hang on the top of the cab and won't go in.

The are plenty of YouTube videos on putting in windshields and back glasses on 67-72 models. The concept is the same, watch a couple of these and it will all make sense

Good luck
1964 long bed
1965 long bed Custom Cab, factory air, V-8, powerglide
sigshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
terbronco7

Thanks for the heads up, I think I will just have the pros do it, not worth the chance of breaking it!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #10
gmcdeadhead

i installed one in my 1966 chevy c-20, i got my gasket from steele rubber . it was the rubber gasket for the windshield trim . i went to harbor freight and bought 2 body/glass suction cups. it was the aluminum ones , not the plastic one. they were around 8 bucks a piece. get them ,well worth the money. i put the rubber around the glass then installed the trim around it and then i put 1/4" clothes line rope around the rubber, i also put another 1/4" rope around the smaller rubber lip . put the rope on so the ends stick out the bottom of the glass. then taped it all up with the blue painters tape and let it sit indoors a couple of days to conform to the glass. i went to home depot and got 2 of those bent looking awl's that help remove radiator hoses. you will need another person on the outside of the truck to help you. get a spray bottle and fill it with very soapy water. now with you inside and your partner outside your ready to go. lay the window in the bottom groove and set it so it goes in deep into the rubber gasket . the top part of the glass will just hit the top part of the cab , but if you work the bottom so the rubber goes deeper in the groove ,the top part of the glass will clear the top cab and the glass will rest against the rest of the cab. use the suction cups to help pull it from the inside while spraying the soapy water and while the friend is pulling the rope slowly . work it all around the window and it goes in easier than you think. it took me only an hour . hope this helps.

Last edited by gmcdeadhead; 03-09-2014 at 09:33 AM.
gmcdeadhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #11
gmcdeadhead

Quote:
Next place the windshield in at the TOP of the cab

i tried it this way first and it was a pain in the A&^%. i had better luck with starting at the bottom
Old 03-09-2014, 10:07 AM   #12
gmcdeadhead

the inside man pulls the rope for the cab rubber groove while the outside man pulls the other rope for the thin rubber lip that conforms to the outer part . it made it easier for the outside rope to work the rubber lip
Old 03-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #13
donthekawguy

Safelite gave me a quote of $325 for glass rubber and install.