The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-29-2003, 07:25 PM   #1
Perchjerker
Beer Power!!!!!!!!!!

Parking Brake Problem

Ongoing problem---changed my drums brakes on the rear last year and every since the emergency brake hasn't worked on my 71 lwb fleetside. I've worked on it forever it seems and the only thing I can figure is that when I changed the brakes, the system got slack somewhere from the equalizer up to the inside of the cab. Everything else back seems to work great. Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?
Old 12-29-2003, 09:29 PM   #2
rage'nrat638
Account Suspended

are the cables hanging loose under the truck?????

there are adjustments that can be made to tighten them.....

let the tighting begain......
rage'nrat638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 09:41 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

My e-brake doesn't work, either. I think it is the front cable, but haven't checked it in the 4 years I've owned it. Always managed to park on the level, and I really trust that my park detent ain't gonna slip out of place, like the Ford trucks have become notorious for doing.

I was reading an old, i.e. ca early 70's street rod magazine. The author was discussing an easy anti-theft device for a street rod that would be hard to find. What he was using was a Mico brake lock. He said they're used on fork lift trucks, for instance. I went on line and found they're still in business.

Basically, it is nothing more than a line-lock type of device. You press on your brake pedal hard enough that the vehicle won't move. Then, you flip the switch. One side of the device is grounded. When you apply voltage to the lock, it holds the brakes in the "on" position, i.e., the shoes don't retract. You could put the switch in an out of the way location, for anti-theft purposes, as well as having it function as your parking brake. Since these trucks have a dual-braking circuit, you could put it on either end. But, normally, we'd use the rear brake circuit.

To use it, you'd have to cut and double-flare the lines, then insert the lock. After bleeding and topping off the master cylinder, it should be no problem to find a 12V source and hook it up. Mount the switch and you're done! Since the lock is between the M/C and the axle, your brake lights won't stay on....in case anyone was thinking they would.

Now, is that more trouble than replacing a cable? Maybe, maybe not.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:16 PM   #4
67Fleetsidedream
Wiseass secured himself a BAN

there is a adjustment rod underneath the truck get under there and you will see what i am talking about
67Fleetsidedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 10:44 PM   #5
ckhd

My parking brake didn't work on my '68, and the brakes didn't work too well either (manual brakes). I just adjusted out the shoes and now it stops better than my '72 Suburban with power brakes! I can almost make the passenger smack their head on the windshield!

1968 K20 fleet
1969 K10 swb fleet
1972 K10 Suburban
1972 C10 lwb step
1992 K1500 'burb
1995 K2500 'burb
1997 C1500 'burb
1999 K1500
2000 K1500 'burb

Why do I own so many Suburbans?
ckhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 11:20 PM   #6
Perchjerker
Beer Power!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the tips guys! I've already done the rudimentaries as described above, and guess what-- my wife ordered me a new front cable for X-mas! Got it in today after work. This replacement looks great; it looks like it was manufactured 10 times better thaqn the factory cable and it even came with the black rubber covering! Best of all, it only cost 35 dollars. My wife ordered it from American Classic Trucks; have any of you delt with these people before? I also got some Original alyernator brakets for the driver's side. They have a lot of parts that even LMC truck doesn't have. I'll let you know how the new cable works.
Old 12-29-2003, 11:55 PM   #7
Perchjerker
Beer Power!!!!!!!!!!

jm