The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-06-2003, 08:33 PM   #1
mac57truck

Dashboard swap

Anybody done a dash swap on a 55-59 chevy truck?If so is it a pain?I am thinking of puting a GMC dash in my Chevy.This will allow for more room for gauges.Thanks
Current project 1957 chevy short box with C-4 Vette suspensions front and rear.lots more mods to come.Will be LS1 powered when it finally hits the road.I also plan to use a 58 Fleetside box in order to be different.Still in the building stages.

Last edited by mac57truck; 06-17-2003 at 08:30 PM.
mac57truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 08:31 PM   #2
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Been there! Done that

MAC57

It is not that hard. I actually removed a Chevy dash panel out of a donor truck thinking I would "convert" my 58 GMC cab over to a Chevy cab.

But like you, I learned to like the idea of the GMC dash instrument cluster area! So I left it in.

But I can tell you - that if you are going to do it, it takes a while and lots of patience. Took me all day to drill out the spot welds and get it loose. A good sharp 1/4 inch or 3/8 steel chisel is also a handy tool to have in the tool shed.

There are also spot welds along the underside of the dash that are not easy to find. (these are at the ends of the panel and weld into the cab in the kick-panel area).

That's my two cent's worth! GOOD LUCK! rico_bob

Trucks: '56 SWB; '57 SWB; '63 C-10
Current projects: 1963 Long Fleetside for the wife!
'56 for the daughter.
Visit us at: www.ricos-rods-and-relics.com
rico_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2003, 12:28 AM   #3
mac57truck

I finally remove it and it took a little time but it was pretty strait forward.
Current project 1957 chevy short box with C-4 Vette suspensions front and rear.lots more mods to come.Will be LS1 powered when it finally hits the road.I also plan to use a 58 Fleetside box in order to be different.Still in the building stages.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:12 PM   #4
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

rico_bob's motto....If you think you can you're right. If you think you can't you're still right.

'56 for the daughter.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:35 AM   #5
57CAMEO3124

Re: Dashboard swap

Quote:
Originally posted by mac57truck
Anybody done a dash swap on a 55-59 chevy truck?If so is it a pain?I am thinking of puting a GMC dash in my Chevy.This will allow for more room for gauges.Thanks
This is My first time on here,, so if I do something worng plase elt me know,,,
I have done it, installed a GMC dash in a chevy that is, it pretty easy if you take your time,,Drill out allthe welds and unbolt a few bolts underneath,,,, I did the same as you I took a 55 GMC dash and put it in a 59 Big back window Chevy cab,, I love the Round gauges ,,I restored all the gauges and made a new wiring harness,( new guages could be mde to fit in the holes as well), The two gauge panels were from a custom truck and were factory chrome,,, a lil pitting on the face that wasnt desireable,, SO I laminated some nice african Zebra wood veener to the face and left the chrome edges, it lookd GREAT, the cabcomplet with visor and black tinted windows was mounted on a long bed 57 chevy frame,I utilized 69 350 engine with the top loader tranny I had hanging around,,,,, and I used the 59 Long bed fleetside bed with all the nice chrome trim,, the nose I slected is 55-56 with chrome grille and bumper, I Love the look of using the 55 GMC 3/4 ton suspension with the Eight lugs ,,Directional Aluminum wheels with 33.5" tires, with the Fleet wood bed, it looks so natural youd have thought chevy built it that way,,,the tires fill the wheel wells excellent and the truck sits at a nice height,,

I currently have for sale a RARE 59 chevy fleetside shortbox with with the big back window,, ,,, NO motor and tranny,, Im asking $2200.00 for the body,, it was the direct replacement for the cameo,, twotone paint,Origally had a v-8 with a 4speed automatic,, it needs restored ,, this truck was bought for my daughter and she has lost interest, Look in the parts board for Pictures, Other projects I am working on include a 57 cameo 3124, 350 B&M blown with sidedraft webers,, Turbo 400 automatic,, 69 truck 3:73 12 bolt posi,,,it coming along great,, I plan to have it on the road this sumer,,, at least for a few local meets,,

KEEP ON TRUCKIN PEOPLE

Last edited by 57CAMEO3124; 01-04-2004 at 04:42 PM.
57CAMEO3124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
rico_bob
"Treasure the Ride"

Talking Nice set of projects there!

WELCOME 57 CAMEO 3124! Sounds like some nice truck projects you have got going there. Please come back here to the board often and let us know how they are going!

Why not post a picture using the attachment feature on the reply sometime? We'd love to see your work.

My two cents worth, rico_bob

'56 for the daughter.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:41 PM   #7
mac57truck

welcome