The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
GBM

project LIL MAD

I bought this truck from a guy who stripped it all down to restore it and got in over his head.

paid 500.00 for it complete but every peice disassembled.

I thought about it for a while and decided I wanted something to take to the Open Road Races across the U.S.

I located a sub frame (67-72) nova and scabbed it in. Then took an old 9" ford truck rear that I had behind my shop. I want a rat rod, but I want a really really fast go kart handling rat rod. I already have a 50 chevy mud racer

so I channeled the floor 5", moved the cab back 18" and moved the motor back 16". FOr mock up, I sat a 355 out of one of our stock cars and decided to twin turbo this truck for some added UMPPPH.

I didnt like the height of the roof, so I decided 4.5 out of the front and 4 out of the rear. I have been getting some flak from friends because I chopped a perfect 5 window cab. Not a spec of rust through or dents in it at all.

I didnt quarter the top, just laid the "A" pilars back. Still a little work massaging them to exactly how I want. I am also going to build a 5" steel cowl induction hood for it to clear the new motor with the intake and new carb hat. the one on it now is just for mock up and is ugly as hell.
GBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #2
GBM

Re: project LIL MAD

ordered some tubular A arms, dropped spindles, 11" slotted and drilled rotors. Plans are to run a 20x10 wheel on the front and a 20x14 wheel on the rear. Using the truck 9". I can run the 8" back spacing wheels I want. The fronts are gonna be set up so I can run 5-6" back spacing.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
95greenz28

That looks sharp! Cant wait to see more progress pics
95greenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 11:30 AM   #4
GBM

worked on the driver's door a bit last night. Didnt come out the way I wanted it to. The kit I used for the suicide hinges was designed around a mini truck door. I know I could have probably changed it more, but live and learn. The issue is the depth of the door. Seems everywhere I moved the hinges, the back of the door hit the cab.

I bent the hinges a little and it helped. I have plenty of room to get in and out, even after I put in my roll cage. I will make a limiting strap so that it doesnt dent the cab. With the current setup, the window clears everything. With the hinges placed where the door opens full 90*, the window doesnt clear the hinges in the back. I have to clean up the gaps a little bit, but over all I am ok with it. This isnt going to be a super shiny rod. This is along the rat rod theme. Satin paint, maybe let my son do some realistic flame airbrushing on it. The frame and suspension will be shiny and very detailed, but that is because I intend to race it ALOT.

to add a note, the last picture is not at full open. It still opens further. I could have used the factory hinges if I had some, but these were in a truck I bought. I am thinking I will sell my other project 50-53 chevy truck to finish what I want on this one. Just have to get the title mess fixed on it and put that one up for sale.

On a good note, my 5" cowl scoop in from Goodmark. It took a few tries to get me one that didnt look like it came off a derby car. They dont package them with anything to protect the steel and the box is just barely big enough to fit the scoop. I was not happy with the extra trips and delays it took. I will enjoy welding this scoop to the hood to clear the turbo hat.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
mrkidd

nice truck cant wait to see this done...i will be checking back on this one...
mrkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
GBM

Got a little more accomplished last night. These are only on for mock-up. I need to know how much room I have to install some coil over adjustable shocks. I am setting it up so that I can change the ride hieght in about 15 minutes.

I am a firm believer that if you make it go fast, you have to make it stop just as fast. With that in mind, only disc brakes with slotted and drilled rotors will do. I went with tubular control arms because of the strength, look and the fact that they give me the spce needed for my coil overs. Also the fact that I sell them in my shop now helps.

Gonna sell my behind the axle power steering box, because I am going to integrate a chrysler rack and pinion in its place.

The frame will go a gloss medium gray powdercoat and all the suspension will be black. I dont really care how nice I make the body look, but for racing and tons of tech inspections, I want the frame and suspension to let them know I am not cutting corners for safety and performance.
Old 03-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
GBM

I have some old wheels I am gonna throw on it tonight so I can get a feel for ride height and track width. That way I can get ready to weigh the front end to order coil overs