The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-24-2014, 03:33 PM   #1
rddaves54

starter shim question

I am replacing my starter, 72 chevy 350, and the new starter came with a shim my question is my old starter did not have one.

So is one necessary since the old started did not one? How do you tell? It was starting fine before.

John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

My Book "Why Cancer is Not Bad Luck" by WestBow press
rddaves54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:43 PM   #2
ray_mcavoy

Re: starter shim question

It all depends on how the tolerances of the starter, ring gear, block, etc. all add up. Changing any one of those parts can potentially change the shim requirements.

While you can just bolt the starter on and see how it works & sounds, I prefer to measure the clearance between the starter pinion gear and the ring gear on the flywheel or flexplate. There should be somewhere around 0.035" to 0.065" clearance between the tip of the pinion gear teeth and the root of the ring gear teeth. A straightened out paper clip (about 0.045" diameter) makes a good gauge. To measure the clearance, disconnect the battery and use a screwdriver or small pry bar to pull the pinion gear out to the engaged position. Or temporarily remove the solenoid so you can pull on the plunger by hand to engage the gear.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
cdowns

put new starter in witout shim and measure // there should b instructions included with the new starter
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:56 PM   #4
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Simple
No two pieces of metal are the same. The new starter may have a little more out of spec in it's housing than your old one. To install the starter right. You need to measure the spacing between the starter drive gear and your flexplate/flywheel. when you get the right measurement, then you should have nothing to fear. I usually take the starter solenoid off and manually engage the drive to the flexplate gear and use a large paperclip as my feeler gauge. You have to adjust until the depth of the starter drive is at that gap amount. When done measuring, then I re-install the solenoid and hook up the starter. Most starters come with an instruction sheet on how to do this.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...6-OmhPZXOCL6-g
Old 03-24-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
CaptRMW
Custom Sport W/T

Location: Tarpon Springs,Fl & Annapolis,Md. ....................Quaint drinking villages with a fishing problem

Now the really simple way to check the clearance. No need to remove the solenoid. Bolt your starter up and line up a flexplate tooth exactly facing the starter shaft. Using the smooth shank of an 1/8" drill bit check the clearance between the starter shaft and the flexplate tooth. Shim the starter until the clearance between the ring gear tooth and the starter shaft is close to snug on the bit. Your starter will reward you if you take the time necessary to get this right.
CaptRMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:44 PM   #6
hugger6933

The reason you may need a shim now and not before I am gonna say instead of all the other posting good advise on how to. I am gonna on why maybe if that makes any sense. The starter that you have in the box may have a different nose on it that has been remachined do to some arms length list of reasons that the rebuilder/builder may have. also instead of trying to keep track of the ones that have had the "nose jobs "if you will it is easier just to put shims in each box. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
litew8

I'd guess and say you don't need them.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
rddaves54

Thanks.

John 14:6 Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

My Book "Why Cancer is Not Bad Luck" by WestBow press
rddaves54 is offline   Reply With Quote