The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
mustang671

New guy, from uk , questions on my chevy 48 loadmaster

hi all

have just joined, I have bought a 1948 chevy loadmaster , 2 tonne 161" tipper truck. it has the straight 6 petrol in it, its original with 2 owners from new and 71k original miles.

I have bought it to use for 2x reasons. first is to replace my ford transit tipper truck I use as a builder, running costs are silly, as this chevy truck is road tax and mot exempt (uk ) and small insurance cost then I would like to have it to use for work, would also be a great advertisement for my building company,

2nd use is to have sides that are removable and double up as ramps for a car transporter for my custom cars. will fit a electric winch.

ok so what issues I have and what I know so far that needs to be done.

6v circuit . how easy is it to change to 12v ??

I blend my own diesel fuel so really want to fit a higher bhp diesel which isn't the modern variant of common rail, so a direct inj type - with that said has it been done ? I presume this 90 hp petrol engine will be a leaded engine ? in the uk we do not have leaded now.

have been told it would be slow with this 90hp straight 6 engine and box ? its a 4 speed. is there anyway of getting more power and speed from what I have before I go thinking about a chevy 6lt v8 engine ?

if I went the diesel engine route then I think I would have to fit a electric pump for the rear tipper ???

where is a good place to get spares and service parts in the uk ?

do they do a disc conv for the front.??

what do I need to look out for ? known issues etc.

sorry for all the questions,

thanks all.

very excited Laugh

Shaun

Last edited by mustang671; 03-28-2014 at 02:00 PM.
mustang671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #2
mustang671

Re: New guy, from uk , questions on my chevy 48 loadmaster

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1396029725

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1396029749
Attached Images

mustang671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:40 PM   #3
70C10Toejam
Hellasick

Good looking old survivor. Kinda wish it woulda been RHD. Don't have any answers for you just wanted to say welcome. One of these days I'll get started on my '52 1 ton.

This life was a test. It was only a test. If this had been an actual life, you would have received instructions on where to go and what to do.

RED meat is not bad for you...FUZZY BLUE/GREEN MEAT is bad for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT FORD TOUGH WITH CHEVY STUFF--sticker at Goodguys
70C10Toejam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #4
mr48chev

That is a good looking old survivor.

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

Converting to 12 V isn't that hard but you want to make sure your wiring is in tip top shape. The same things that would be required to change over a car from the UK to 12 volts apply on it. Changing all of the bulbs and putting a voltage reducer in line to the gauges. It would primarily be the fuel gauge on that one that needs the voltage reducer.

They are comparatively slow by modern standards but how far do you drive your load carrying truck at a time and how much of it is on roads that allow speeds above what you can expect from the 48 . I'd think 45 or 50 is probably about what you can comfortably expect out of it on a regular basis. Remember that you have to be able to stop as well as go.

Diesel engine, I don't know if they have the right injection system but those Isuzu NPR box trucks seem to be world wide and a lot of guys here are pulling the engines out of them and putting them in pickups and similar trucks. there may also be a Perkins engine that is/was sold for similar size trucks made in the UK. Parts availability would be the key along with reliability and enough power to do what you need.

On the hydraulic pump, there are a number of ways to go outside of running a PTO driven pump as it most likely has now. There are belt driven pumps along with the electric pumps. And don't leave out a pto on a newer trans.

I have no idea about parts sources there.

Disk conversion, again I have no information. later big truck disks could probably be swapped if you have someone who is an excellent machinist who can modify the spindles or hubs to adapt one to the other and then fabricate caliper brackets.
I've been toying with some ideas for redoing my 1-1/2 ton 51 Chev's suspension but that is many projects from now before I get to it.
Welcome to the board, I should have said that first.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #5
RINC

Welcome !

I can't supply you any more answers than mr48chev has posted above.

Keep the faith. Many people on this site with loads of info.

Oh an uh ..... just wanted to say "Come On You Spurs !"

#THFC #COYS

'69 C-20
'04 Jeep TJ
RINC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:03 PM   #6
BADAZ chevy guy

WELCOME!!! Gotta love your glove box latch.

700R4 build thread. >>> http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...36#post6740236
BADAZ chevy guy is offline   Reply With Quote