The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
Old Crow

AD door opening repair video

A couple of weeks ago I was scouring the interwebs to find info on repairing the infamous fence post crease in the cowl of this '54 pickup we're doing. Came across a post(either here or on stovebolt)that had a video of a guy slicing the cowl in order to twist the panel where the hinges mount. Basically he cut a big slice vertically on the cowl with a die grinder and twisted the hinges until he took that width of the cutoff blade and tacked the cowl back together.
Apparently this is what we have to do to the truck we're doing, but now I can't find the video anywhere to show my body guy.
Anybody got it bookmarked? I hate getting old.

'54 Chevy Panel, '00 Bounder 36S, '95 Jeep YJ
Old Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: AD door opening repair video

I haven't seen that one. My cowl that I am using has the crease from the door going open too far that a lot have and I figured that when I got to that spot I'd spring for the stud welding setup from Eastwood and pop it out that way. I'd like to see the video though.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:26 PM   #3
mr48chev

I still can't find that but did find this http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...r/viewall.html
As some guys don't buy the magazines it might be interesting reading.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
Old Crow

Yeah, I watched part of the video I'm talking about last week, before we found the post twisted. Now that I want to find it again, it's gone. I spent like an hour looking before I posted and that same article is all I found.
We had to replace the left cowl on this truck(inside and out)and it came out perfect. Someone else had started on the right side of the truck, including removal of the vent louvers, and when we started to fit the right door, we discovered the problem.
Don't really want to replace the panel again as we'd have to do all that work on the louvers over again.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #5
whitedog76

Mr48-

The truck in that article isn't rusty enough for my taste. They need to look like: http://www.pbase.com/czechman/arightside&page=1
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
Old Crow

Ha, you'd have liked this one then. Previous owner had tried to piece together the floor and cowls with just patch panels. Even then he hadn't caught all the cancer. We ended up buying the complete floor piece, left side inner and outer cowl pieces and rear cab corners and the vertical braces on the back of the cab. We worked with his right cowl panel because someone had spent a lot of time removing the louvers and patching it. Probably should have started from scratch there, too.

My kid bought a car that came from Illinois one time. First time he drove it over 20 miles at one stretch the back seat cushion caught on fire from the heat rising up into the cab through the 12"x12" hole rusted through the floor over the catalytic converter. Never again.

Old 03-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #7
whitedog76

On my 54, they welded new cab corners over top of the old. They never cut anyhting out, just filled and filled with bondo.
whitedog76 is offline   Reply With Quote