The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-29-2014, 01:14 AM   #1
Steve Cole

This may sound crazy but...Please give input!

I had a muffler shop start installing my Magnaflow exhaust system only to tell me they could not finish it because my truck was lowered too much! Now mind you, I am only running a 3/5 drop. 2" drop spindles with 1" drop springs in the front and 3" drop springs and 2" lowering blocks in the rear. The Magnaflow system uses 2.5" mandrel bent stainless pipes. They completed the drivers side but stopped at the muffler for the passenger side. In their defense, I don't see how the last pipe could have fit on the passenger side. The tab on the rear end for the brake hose/line connection and the passenger side brake line was the problem, there was no clearance there. This system was designed to run over the axle and exit just behind the rear tire. My drop is not extreme by any means so how is everyone who runs their exhaust to exit behind the back tires doing this?? Pics would be most helpful! Thanks.

I am particularly looking for pics of the passenger side rear end area. I also have a fuel cell between the frame rails so straight out the back is not an option.

Last edited by Steve Cole; 03-29-2014 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Forgot info
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:28 AM   #2
Sklptrljay

Re: This may sound crazy but...Please give input!

Hmm. That doesn't sound right unless someone modified the brake lines and they are sticking up really high. That isn't a hard fix anyway.

I'm doing my own 2.5" exhaust right now, and if I can squeeze it in with the tools I have in my own garage then they definitely should be able to. And mine is a 4.5" x 7" drop.

I would say good day to them, ask for my money back (partial if your happy with the drivers side) and find a better shop.
Sklptrljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

All I can offer is I'm sure all Magnaflow systems are made the same and they have obviously been fitting a lot of trucks. I'd venture to say possibly more than half were likely lowered as much or more as yours. I know shops will use the universal "it's because of that mod you did" card for a cop-out. My eyes are on that shop,too. All brake tabs are in the same place. Are both pipes running parallel with center of truck? Is it possible the passenger side is misaligned further forward causing it to come to the wrong place further back? If I was a shop I'd want to do my own exhaust and not be stuck with someone else' work. That might be coming into play. You don't need a muffler shop to install a pre-fab system. I'd expect a muffler shop to be biased and opinionated about the best exhaust system,how things should be done,etc. than a general repair shop.
I don't know why you can't run pipes straight back along side of the fuel cell under the frame rails or a bit wider. Not that you wanted that and you should have what you wanted...and paid for.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 04-01-2014 at 09:52 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 04:09 PM   #4
Willys47

I had to make mine work on a lowerd truck .My headers have long collectors so that made fitting them harder to do but it is under the truck
Old 04-01-2014, 12:49 AM   #5
luvbowties

Smile Re: This may sound crazy but...Please give input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cole View Post
I had a muffler shop start installing my Magnaflow exhaust system only to tell me they could not finish it because my truck was lowered too much! Now mind you, I am only running a 3/5 drop. 2" drop spindles with 1" drop springs in the front and 3" drop springs and 2" lowering blocks in the rear. The Magnaflow system uses 2.5" mandrel bent stainless pipes. They completed the drivers side but stopped at the muffler for the passenger side. In their defense, I don't see how the last pipe could have fit on the passenger side. The tab on the rear end for the brake hose/line connection and the passenger side brake line was the problem, there was no clearance there. This system was designed to run over the axle and exit just behind the rear tire. My drop is not extreme by any means so how is everyone who runs their exhaust to exit behind the back tires doing this?? Pics would be most helpful! Thanks.

I am particularly looking for pics of the passenger side rear end area. I also have a fuel cell between the frame rails so straight out the back is not an option.
My truck, 1966, is obviously older than yours. But, I too had a problem making from scratch the pass-side tail pipe--also due to interference from flex brake hose & mounting tab. We just installed a slightly longer rubber hose & moved mounting tab over a bit to re-locate the hose/tab & were able to fit the pipe just like driv-side. I, too, have a fuel cell under the back of my '66. NOTE: We (the muff-shop) made up all my pipes from scratch--no pre-packaged kit at all; thus, he had no excuse--AFTER I went & brought a longer flex hose to him!!!
Hope this will help u solve your dilemma.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:08 AM   #6
Steve Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbowties View Post
My truck, 1966, is obviously older than yours. But, I too had a problem making from scratch the pass-side tail pipe--also due to interference from flex brake hose & mounting tab. We just installed a slightly longer rubber hose & moved mounting tab over a bit to re-locate the hose/tab & were able to fit the pipe just like driv-side. I, too, have a fuel cell under the back of my '66. NOTE: We (the muff-shop) made up all my pipes from scratch--no pre-packaged kit at all; thus, he had no excuse--AFTER I went & brought a longer flex hose to him!!!
Hope this will help u solve your dilemma.
Sam
Thanks Sam,
Didn't you have to also redo the hard lines going to the wheel cylinders if you moved the tab? On my truck, the lines are an exact fit, If I moved the tab either direction, the hard lines wouldn't fit any longer. Thanks!
Steve Cole is offline   Reply With Quote