The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-31-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
mrucereto

Tie Rod to Steering Knuckle Connection

I had a big scare this weekend while driving my 70 Blazer... I took it off roading, nothing too crazy, just some rough terrain. I got it back on the road and after a few miles, the truck starting bucking really bad. I discovered that my tie rod came free from the steering knuckle on the passenger side.

After doing a little research, I discovered that the connection on my truck is nothing like the connections I see as the replacement. My tie rod only has a large bolt and nut connecting it to the steering knuckle. I was thinking I just needed to get a new nut (the one that was there is gone). Everything I am looking at for a replacement is a new tie rod end that looks more like a ball joint with castle nut and cotter pin.

Did I get screwed by the PO again?

I know I know... pictures... I'm at working stewing about this... I'll get some if people need to see them... but would like thoughts on fixing this correctly.
mrucereto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
sockalaminski

Re: Tie Rod to Steering Knuckle Connection

Without pic, here's my guess.
Sounds like the tie rod was replaced with a heim joint. Before you buy a ti rod end, check the hole in the knuckle and see if it is drilled out straight or has a taper to it. If it is drilled out straight, you will need to continue using the nut and bolt method of attachment until the knuckle can be replaced. I use heims on my S10 Blazer and they work great. The PO probably didn't use a mechanical locking nut. This type of nut is required for this application as well as fine threads for proper torque.
sockalaminski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
AJs72K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockalaminski View Post
Without pic, here's my guess.
Sounds like the tie rod was replaced with a heim joint. Before you buy a ti rod end, check the hole in the knuckle and see if it is drilled out straight or has a taper to it. If it is drilled out straight, you will need to continue using the nut and bolt method of attachment until the knuckle can be replaced. I use heims on my S10 Blazer and they work great. The PO probably didn't use a mechanical locking nut. This type of nut is required for this application as well as fine threads for proper torque.
Agree that it sounds like a heim, which are illegal for street use in some states

However, if it has indeed been drilled out for a heim, there are inserts that will give you the proper taper for a tie rod end. They can also be used to change a "nut over" to a "nut under" application depending on the year of the axle / knuckle.

See here ---> LINK

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff

Last edited by AJs72K5; 03-31-2014 at 11:18 PM.
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:51 PM   #4
mrucereto

Thanks guys. Researched heim and that is what I have. I'll have to take some time this week and see if it is tapered. After this ordeal I'm thinking I want to go back to the standard tie rod end. But the easy fix for now is to get a new nut.
Attached Images

mrucereto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 11:20 PM   #5
AJs72K5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrucereto View Post
Thanks guys. Researched heim and that is what I have. I'll have to take some time this week and see if it is tapered. After this ordeal I'm thinking I want to go back to the standard tie rod end. But the easy fix for now is to get a new nut.
If it still has a taper in it, I would seriously consider drilling it out and using one of those inserts anyway. The bolt threads will have chewed up a tapered hole.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
sockalaminski

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJs72K5 View Post
Agree that it sounds like a heim, which are illegal for street use in some states

However, if it has indeed been drilled out for a heim, there are inserts that will give you the proper taper for a tie rod end. They can also be used to change a "nut over" to a "nut under" application depending on the year of the axle / knuckle.

See here ---> LINK
I forgot all about those tapered bushings. Thanks for the reminder.
sockalaminski is offline   Reply With Quote