The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-28-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
Porkchop

engine swap kits

I am considering doing any engine swap in my truck. I am looking at putting my 350 into a 69 Ford truck. Would you know of any place that makes motor mounts that will work for swapping engines? I have been looking everywhere with no luck.
thanks for any help
brad
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2003, 11:37 PM   #2
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Speedway
Old 12-29-2003, 12:20 AM   #3
cdowns

www.speedwaymotors.com also check www.pawengineparts.com or do a search for advanced adapters
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 12:29 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

One of the most beautiful fords to bless with a chevy engine.
If you were willing to do a caddy motor, it'd be a slam dunk too.
Pay real close attention to the under hood areas for rust...esp seeing you are in the rust belt. Once it starts to rust under there, the truck isn't worth much due to its weakened state.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 01:19 AM   #5
Porkchop

Yeah, it is a good looking truck and is in GREAT shape. It was a Georgia truck. I have noticed a few places where it is starting to rust, but nothing major. Why do you say that a Caddy swap would be so simple? I won't be doing that swap since I already have the 350 built, I am just curious.
Cdowns- I checked out advance adapters already. I found the site to be difficult to navigate (I not very computer literate though). Most of everything was for jeeps. Do they have stuff for other makes? Maybe I just am not looking properly.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:59 AM   #6
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

Adapters are made for the caddy engine, and the Caddy engine and Ford big block have very similar dimentions, not to mention the headers are a fairly close match which makes the custom work for headers almost simple.
just read quite a few things on the caddy big block into ford truck and everyone says it is a killer set up.
However, with already having the 350....screw the caddy idea.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2003, 02:30 AM   #7
dinnut

lol....
if you want to a caddy swap for about 20k i can get you a 425 caddy bb with 300 original miles... oh and for that 20k youd get a mint 78 cadillac eldorado... or for a couple g's less you could get this engines twin with 4000 miles also comes with mint 78 cadillac eldorado.
just a thought. lol
this is the one with 4k miles... its in our garage the 300 mile one is in pa and is also his...
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2003, 02:31 AM   #8
dinnut

these seats would look good in ur truck
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2003, 11:06 AM   #9
cdowns

another place to check is jcwhitney they have a universal engine frame-mount adapter for a sbc

Old 12-29-2003, 12:07 PM   #10
tom hand
CCRider

The oil pan will be a problem too. Chevys have the sump in the rear...older f@rds had the sump in the front. The good news is chevy made a front sump oil pan...it was used on the v-8 chevy ll's. you can find one here: http://www.chevy2only.com/
Old 12-29-2003, 01:56 PM   #11
Porkchop

I checked out JcW. I found a universal kit that they say will adjust from 24" to 37." I will have to measure between my rails to see if it will work. Do you guys have any experiences with these?

Tom Hand- 390's had the sump in the front? I thought it was more towards the middle. Anyway, the crossmember could be a problem because with the current 390 it covers almost the entire length of the oil pan, except in the back.

thanks
brad
Old 12-30-2003, 01:25 AM   #12
Porkchop

http://jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stor...&storeld=10101
--this is the link to the JCW product. Hopefully it will work. I am looking at the "universal motor mount for 265-350 SBC's", and "the universal tranny mount with a 3" drop." They claim that they will work for any frame rails that are 26"- 36" apart (tranny mount) and 24"- 37" apart (motor mount). I measured the rails on my truck and they are about 30" apart. It sounds like they will work, but I am sceptical of JCW products, especially since they make the claim that these mounts will increase horsepower. What do you guys think? Do they sound alright? Will I have to worry about improper angles of the engine and tranny? Do you think that they will bolt/weld right in like they claim? It confuses me that they can say these mounts are universal for all SBC's engines and all manual/automatic trannies since they don't even know how far back my firewall is or how high the tranny hump is.
please give me some advice
thanks for all the help
brad
Old 12-30-2003, 10:56 AM   #13
tom hand
CCRider

Universal from JCW means there is some stuff in a box and you get to make it work. You may be able to move, modify, redrill, the stock transmission crossmember and make it work. Plan on installing the engine/transmission as a unit several times for mesurements...I would even do that before buying anything...you may see that you could use some junkyard stuff instead...or it is more than you want to deal with. If you are not comfortable with fabracation....put down the F@rd and walk away...lol.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:20 PM   #14
cdowns

i second what tom hand says an engineswap requires you to figure out the geometry of the install. what i always did was measure the location of the crank and tranny output centerline of the original motor tranny and try to duplicate it with the new replacement

Old 01-01-2004, 01:58 AM   #15
Porkchop

I am willing to do some fabrication, but I am not that skilled in that area. So, there aren't any places that sell kits that are almost straight bolt/weld in for specific swaps; instead of universal swaps? Are they all going to require alot of adjustments/modifications?
How long (hours of labor) do you think it would take a first time custom engine swapper like myself to complete this job?(I can get access to a welder, and since I would be using a thicker medal, I shouldn't have a problem welding) How long do jobs like this take you guys?
I do realize that this is probably going to take more work than I think, but I have never attempted anything like this, and I want to be sure that I can't do it if I decide to give up.
sorry for constantly asking questions, and thanks very much for the help
brad