The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-01-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Sean C

T56...

Hey all. So I'm going to be doing the T56 swap ASAP, but I have a question about parts...

Just looking around ebay I came across a few GTO T56s and I'm wondering if there is a specific generation of T56 that would work best with my 350? Or if any T56 I can get my hands on with do the job? Is there a particular adapter/bellhousing I need?

Pedal assembly:
Can I use any aftermarket pedal? Or do I need to find one specifically for a C10?

Does the T56 use a master/slave cylinder or master/hydraulic bearing?

Do I need a new transmission mount cross member?

Lots of questions here, but from searching the forum I've found lots about swapping an LS/T56 combo and much less of a T56 to 350.

I appreciate any help!
Sean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:18 PM   #2
jayoldschool

Re: T56...

You want a 93-97 T56. They have the early style bellhousing, it will bolt right up. There are actually three different T56s in those years, two in 93, and one from 94-97. The difference is gear ratios and torque rating. The early one was 350ft-lbs, later 450ft-lbs. Ratios are available with quick google. The 94-up has a .5 6th. Good for 4.10s and lower.

Master/slave setup.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:24 PM   #3
Sean C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayoldschool View Post
You want a 93-97 T56. They have the early style bellhousing, it will bolt right up. There are actually three different T56s in those years, two in 93, and one from 94-97. The difference is gear ratios and torque rating. The early one was 350ft-lbs, later 450ft-lbs. Ratios are available with quick google. The 94-up has a .5 6th. Good for 4.10s and lower.

Master/slave setup.
Awesome info! One thing though...what if I got a later model T56? Would I just have to get a bell housing from a 93-97 T56? I only ask because I've been finding more late model T56s than early
Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 PM   #4
mwipp

I was looking at doing a simliar swap. From my research the bell housing are interchangeable from newer to older T56s. but it may be easier to use an adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/McLeod-Trans...cfbaf6&vxp=mtr

I havent done this swap so idk but thats what I have compiled.

Also is the shifter going to come up where you needed it? I havent gotten around to measuring it, plus I ruled against swapping, but I figured it be sitting way to far back. They do make an adapter to move it to the forward shifting postion though, and that should fix that.

I really wanted to do that swap but my college student budget couldnt afford it haha so i was stuck with rebuilding my my6
mwipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #5
kerber63

I can only speak for the '93-'97 T56s (I've got a 454 setup, but the conversion is the same for a small block). Those T56s were mounted to LT1 motors - internally balanced engines with 153 tooth flywheels. If you have an externally balanced 350 with a 168 tooth flywheel, the transmission won't bolt up. The flywheel will be too big for the bellhousing to bolt to the block. I used a SPEC conversion flywheel - 153 tooth externally balanced flywheel. This allowed the trans to bolt to the block without interference. Because of the smaller flywheel, I had to use the inboard starter mounting holes (hopefully your block has two sets to choose from). The LT1 T56 uses a special style clutch that is unique to those model years - it's a pull type instead of a conventional push type. The input shaft on the trans is considerably shorter than a LS1 style, and the clutch is where the difference is made up. I got a camaro hydraulic master and slave cylinder combo from RockAuto and modified my stock '63 clutch linkage to work with the master.

If I remember right, to convert a LS1 style T56, you need a conversion bellhousing. You can't use a LT1 bellhousing because the input shaft would then be too long, unless there's an adapter that adds a few inches. I found that the cost between converting the two types of T56s were about the same.

I would not recommend putting a T56 in anything with a higher rear end (lower numerically) than 4.11s, unless you're running tiny tiny tires.

I might be forgetting something, let me know if you have any questions or want pictures of something.
1963 C10 suburban
Unknown, unknown, 3.73 open
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=622037
kerber63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #6
Sean C

Thanks for the responses guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwipp View Post
I was looking at doing a simliar swap. From my research the bell housing are interchangeable from newer to older T56s. but it may be easier to use an adapter http://www.ebay.com/itm/McLeod-Trans...cfbaf6&vxp=mtr

I really wanted to do that swap but my college student budget couldnt afford it haha so i was stuck with rebuilding my my6
Haha I hear ya on the college student budget! Same boat, but luckily I've managed to get enough scratch to make the swap happen.

So, if I went with the adapter could I then use any T56 bell housing? I'm confused about the purpose of the adapter.

kerber63

I appreciate the info! Is there a way to find out how many teeth my flywheel has without cracking everything open?

Is a conversion bellhousing the same as the adapter mwipp linked above? Or something else?

As far as rear end goes, another member sent me an excel sheet showing optimal rear end gears for my 350 with a T56 and a 4.56 looks like the best option and I will be upgrading from my stock rear end.

Thanks again for the help!!

Sean

PS Does anyone have a suggestion for a pedal assembly?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
jayoldschool

You can't use the LS1 T56 without swapping the input shaft. Find a 93-97.

Use your stock pedal. Use F body hydraulics. Fab something so the pedal actuates the cylinder on the hydraulics.

4.56 are a great choice with the 94-97 trans. I use 4.10s, only because I use short tires (295 35 18s). My car was the first Impala SS in Canada that was converted to T56. Finished it in one day (long day, lol).

Last edited by jayoldschool; 04-01-2014 at 10:21 PM.
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you want to also upgrade to power brakes, I make a power brake booster bracket/hydraulic clutch converstion assembly for the '63-'66's. I don't have a for sale thread for this one yet, but it is basically the same as what I make for the '60-'62's. There is a link to the for sale thread in my signature line \/ \/ \/
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:43 AM   #9
vortech71chevy

I have done this swap a couple of times in a couple of different cars/trucks...

If you have a 1pc rear main seal block, you can use 100% factory LT1 parts, ie flywheel, clutch, hydraulics, etc and it will bolt up. It will use the factory lt1 bellhousing and will be the easiest way to do it.

If you have an older 2pc rear main seal, get a 1 pc rear main seal motor.

2pc requires an ls1 sourced t56 because of the input shaft lengths. you can use factory mechanical linkage and older style clutch and flywheel, by you must buy a McLeod adapter bracket and in the end you have 15 feet of ghettoness hanging off the back of your motor. It works, but its dumb and ugly.

disregard GTO and viper models. all kinds of weird.

There is a couple really great t56 swap threads on Nastyz28.com (Camaro forum). Go check over there when you get your trans for the detail work. PM me for q's. Good luck.
vortech71chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #10
66PANEL

Here's my set up, might help I just got an after market aluminum flywheel. The motor is a 69 .30 over 327.
Attached Images

66PANEL is offline   Reply With Quote