The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-04-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Nitis

Ok Newbie here where do I start

So I just inherited one of Dad's projects he decided he wasn't going to get to its a pretty much all original 72 k10 longbed. Its been around our town since the early 80s and its a solid truck needs a right front fender due to standard rust but other than that it wont take much to get it ready for fresh paint.

I don't really want to make a show truck out of it is a long bed so that don't make much sense but I want to make it nice and set it up to take anywhere. We have been through a few custom rigs of sorts in the past even did a 85 k2500 removing the 6.2 and putting in a TBI 350 so we can figure some stuff out.

It has a new automatic transmission in it but the engine is tired should I pull and rebuild do a TBI swap 5.7 vortec? Looking for suggestions I hate to swap out the new trans but if I do a newer engine I don't want to hinder performance or fuel economy I know I am not going to get 20 mpg but theres a big difference between 10 and 15 on the highway.

I also found one good thread about seat options from our experience the early 90s up to 94 60/40 are a nice fit as they don't take up a lot of room and don't need a lot of fab work to make fit. Any other suggestions? I want to be able to sit 3 wide but a fold down center would be nice.

Its going to run on rally wheels and probably 33" BFGs

I ll post a pic when I get it figured out but its the bright yellow that they only had in 72.

Also I see many posts talk about brothers for parts are they superior to LMC or whats the scoop there?
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Ricks1971

Re: Ok Newbie here where do I start

Welcome aboard! Several of us in Paradise,Magalia area
Ricks1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #3
Nitis

I'm not that far north haha Iam in Amador County
Old 04-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Nitis

Let me also state that I am not new to the land of 67-72 rigs between my brothers and my dad we currently have about ten rigs most on the road and running. My first truck was a 70 gmc swb wish I had that rig back

Anyway just trying to hit the ground running here
Old 04-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Nitis

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  34.8 KB
Old 04-05-2014, 11:58 AM   #6
low&slow
Account Suspended

I myself have been a big block guy. Now I know you don't want low mpg so I'm not going to suggest a 454 Nor am I going to suggest a 500 cadillac which is in my other truck. A 454 stock doesn't really have that much power stock and gets bad mpg. My 500 caddy set up the way it is (for racing) is one thirsty motor, but for it being stock it makes butt loads of power. Now if I wanted to, I could build the caddy motor to be a driver and get 18 mpg, but I'd have to tune the motor way down from what I have now. My buddy has a 1970 cadillac with a 500 in it that gets 18 mpg on a good day. He put in all aftermarket parts on it with aftermarket gauges so he is able to read what his average mpg is. Now that's cool.

Anyways, I don't know much about motors with good mpg as the only thing I like is power. Although, from what I've seen and read throughout this forum is that a lot of people are taking the ls route. Good power and still maintains decent mpg. Now I don't know if a 6.0 is ls or not like I already stated, I don't know much about this era of motors with good mpg.

Now as far as going to a cummins motor, that's going to be a lot of work to get one of them motors to fit. I'm not saying its impossible though as I've seen a lot of these year trucks have cummins and duramax motors in them.
For your truck (72 k10), with it being 4x4 (I think) I would do a cummins or duramax swap. You still would maintain good mpg even though fuel is expensive, but if you wanted to sling some mud, you'd have the torque as well or even if you wanted to haul something with it. But I'm not saying that a 5.7 or a 6.0 or something else gas driven can't do that either.

There's probably not much of a suggestion here, but it might help get the ball rolling a little better.
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:01 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

TBI and Vortec are 2 different animals. TBI swaps are pretty popular, and you can get decent mileage out of them. Just as long as you go into it knowing it's limitations, and don't expect a tire smoking monster, you will be good. Vortec is a little more involved as it was OBD2 instead of OBD1 like the TBI.

Or you could get a 350 c.i. GM crate engine of the 290 hp variety, and huck a Holley 1850 (600cfm) on it and call it good as well.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #8
imjeff

I have a 396 in mine...not a mileage motor. In the future, with the K10, 4" lift and 33's I am really thinking hard about a late 5.3 or 6.0 LS swap. There are some great threads on this and it allows the use of your trans and transfer case. I may put MPFI on my current 396, but the prices are so close that I haven't decided yet. As for seat options, apparently the late model, dare I say, ford seats require less fabrication to install. Just look at the distance from the floor mount to the seat of the seat.

Jeff
67 Chevelle 396, 4 speed
74 FXE
08 Tahoe
imjeff is offline   Reply With Quote