The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-09-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
low&slow
Account Suspended

costs may have driven me to do it myself

Well I called around to a few places and got some quotes on how much it would cost to have some work done to my truck. I think I may just tackle it all myself. I don't have the experience to do any of it and I can't weld, but my buddy can do all kinds of welding with any type of metal. Anyways, here's the prices.

Chop top (lengthen and widen roof) - $5,000 w/out body work, primer, nor window. OR $2,000 for someone else to do it.

Tilt forward front clip - $2,000 minimum w/out body work nor primer

Back half chassis - $3,000 - $10,000+

Now I can see the back half being that expensive because there's a ton of different options, but $5k + $2k to do the roof and clip. Really?
low&slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
brawley
Easy Does It

Re: costs may have driven me to do it myself

yeah at those prices might as well leave it stock..you will never get any return back.. but the pleasure of having a custom truck is priceless. just make sure your buddy is going to follow thru to the end, you hate to end up with a half finished project
brawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #3
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by brawley View Post
yeah at those prices might as well leave it stock..you will never get any return back.. but the pleasure of having a custom truck is priceless. just make sure your buddy is going to follow thru to the end, you hate to end up with a half finished project
Yeah I'm pretty sure he'll follow through to the end. I was talking to him the other day about it and he said $2k is just about right. He said him and his uncle could do it for $1,600. It would take 4 days, 8 hrs a day at $50 an hour and that's with grinding it all smooth. As for body work, I can do all that.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 PM   #4
slow-1

The price of paying someone to do it has made me do it myself for the last 30 years...good luck with your project.
Original 350 (3 rebuilds)
700R4 from Bowtie Overdrives

slow-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
tcoop68
tcoop68

I just like doing everything myself I started 45 years ago because I just love hands on little did I know it saves me a ton of money to boot . I'm building three at this time and I still can't get enough.
tcoop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
67ctener

I am in the same boat for rust repair. I bought my own welder, practiced, and can now say I feel very comfortable and confident. The person you take your truck had to learn these skills. May as well learn yourself and save thousands over your lifetime
67ctener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #7
low&slow
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ctener View Post
I am in the same boat for rust repair. I bought my own welder, practiced, and can now say I feel very comfortable and confident. The person you take your truck had to learn these skills. May as well learn yourself and save thousands over your lifetime
You're right on that. Talked to my buddy today. He says if I buy beer and pay him $800, that he will do it all himself, but if I help him, then I'll still have to pay him $800, but he'll buy the beer lol.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #8
hugger6933

You might want to make that lite beer or it mat start to get a little off line towards the end of the mark. just kidding the stoutest thing I drink at my place is a Diet Coke witch is funny cause it seems funny to people to come in to my sop to see a man close to 400 lbs drinking a diet drink. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote