The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-13-2014, 12:09 AM   #3
Wet..Paint

Re: 6.0L Problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-Ed View Post
oil guage does not mean you dont have oil pressure... those dash clusters are soo finicky and they always give odd readings.

if you had no oil pressure your drive train would be screeming lifters clacking rockers clanking

reset the codes after you write down all the codes...

take it for a spin until codes set... 1st code set is first problem you address.... solve that others may go away or then you can eliminate one of many problems.. its just logical troubleshooting
Normally that is what I do, but I can't get a single code to clear out. I erase them all, fire it up, and they are all back again. I did have a dead speedo when I first got this truck and had to change the stepper motor, so with the driving 20+ min with "no oil pressure" and no issues I am thinking a bad gauge / sender. Which is why I want to throw the Mechanical gauge on it. I like the old mechanical junk it's pretty much fail safe instead of this electrical crap! Buddy also said if I had no oil pressure the info center would tell me and it would ding constantly? Supposed to be cold all this week so wont be testing anything soon, she's parked for the summer anyways so whatever!

My old S-10 lost oil pressure on the highway when I had it and I said ff it and drove it home still, never made a sound until it seized up dead a block from my house haha! Was expecting the same with the 6.0L but shes still goin!

I have never had this much trouble with a GM engine before, which is why I think it might be something major.... Hopefully not, if Compression is good and Oil Pressure is good, knock sensors will be changed to start. If oil pressure is no good I'll change the pump, if it's still bad then obviously the bearings are toast and the motor is out! Still need to know where can I hook a mech oil gauge? I know the Cummins, D-max and Powerstrokes like the back of my hand but gassers aren't my thing, the price was right on this one but apparently there was a reason for that......
1982 GMC C1500 350 700r4 5/7 Drop
1951 Chevrolet 3100 S-10 Frame 383 TH400
Wet..Paint is offline   Reply With Quote