The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 AM   #1
Nitis

Anyone use the kick panel speakers?

Anybody try them how are they for fit and finish?

My truck does have some 6" already in the doors that will get scrapped when I re do the body maybe I should just use those
Nitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 AM   #2
Maladd

Re: Anyone use the kick panel speakers?

My wife bought me some. I'm guessing probably from LMC. The speakers aren't great, but definately better than one in the console. Fit ended up good, but I remember i did quite a bit of trimming, probably around the fresh air door. They didn't stick out near as much as I had imagined. Overall it ended up a nice upgrade, but probably wouldn't have bothered if my doors were already cut.
Maladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:31 AM   #3
diggerbob

Re: Anyone use the kick panel speakers?

The plastic kick panels are a little too shallow. I bought some higher quality speakers to use in place of the shallow throw pioneers that came with the kick panels. I ended up cutting a 5/8" thick plywood ring and which I installed between each speaker and the kick panel. This gave me enough depth so that the speaker magnet didn't rattle against the steel kick panel. This provided a good improvement in sound but not enough, so I cut a 1/4 inch thick piece of plywood to fit to the back of each kick panel, stuffed the space with a bit of insulation and adhered the plastic kick panel to the plywood backing I had cut out using silicone caulk. This provided a big boost in bass and overall sound volume too. The only set back is that I can not use my emergency brake because it won't clear the left speaker. I keep a little 4x4 in my truck to throw under a tire when I feel the need to apply a parking brake.

Last edited by diggerbob; 04-16-2014 at 08:39 AM.
diggerbob is offline   Reply With Quote