The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #26
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Re: Fast rust removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboAMONGus View Post
i use RUST MORT , comes in a bottle, used it for years , my dad use the same stuff and paints over it no problems all tho i did use it on a jeep once and then a few weeks later the metal turned all brittle on floor boards and flaked apart
Jumboamongus,

I use to use Rustmort. Rustmort is just another phosphoric acid product. It is a just more expensive than the stuff I buy at Home Depot, (Under 20 buts for a gallon at Home Depot) but you are correct Rustmort does work.

By the way I always neutralize the acid and make sure all residue is removed before primer. I would void the warranty on my primer if I paint over anything but clean metal. Remember your paint is only as good as its foundation so why not take extra precautions. I'm not saying that you can't paint over Rustmort I'm just saying why take the chance. Blocking and getting a panel ready for paint is too time consuming to risk it in my opinion.

So after I get all the rust removed, I raise, blow dry, wire wheel, and DA sand it with 80 grit. Then I use wax and grease remover and epoxy primer.

Last edited by Kabwe; 11-28-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 AM   #27
solidaxel

WE JUST SAND BLASTED SOME DOORS, but the blaster did not get all the rust from inside the doors, can we etch prime the outside and then dip or spray the inside with posphoric acid and nutrulize and prime everything.will the spray method hurt the already primed outside of the door, or should we just do all the prime after we clean the inside of the doors?
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #28
made2drag

kabwe,

once i get a panel totally down to metal and use a wax and grease remover...is it ok to use the duplicolor epoxy primer in a spray can from autozone? (the high build gray type) will that last and protect well or does it have to be an automotive shop quality epoxy with a gun? thanks
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxel View Post
WE JUST SAND BLASTED SOME DOORS, but the blaster did not get all the rust from inside the doors, can we etch prime the outside and then dip or spray the inside with posphoric acid and nutrulize and prime everything.will the spray method hurt the already primed outside of the door, or should we just do all the prime after we clean the inside of the doors?
I would wait until I removed all traces of rust before I primed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
kabwe,

once i get a panel totally down to metal and use a wax and grease remover...is it ok to use the duplicolor epoxy primer in a spray can from autozone? (the high build gray type) will that last and protect well or does it have to be an automotive shop quality epoxy with a gun? thanks
I would only use 2K epoxy primer or any primer for that matter on my projects. I do not use any primer out of a spray can especially on my sheetmetal. I may use a spray can paint on suspension parts and such but not on my sheetmetal. Remember your paint job will only be as good as its foundation.

Last edited by Kabwe; 11-30-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 11-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #30
made2drag

"""I would only use 2K epoxy primer or any primer for that matter on my projects. I do not use any primer out of a spray can especially on my sheetmetal. I may use a spray can paint on suspension parts and such but not on my sheetmetal. Remember you paint job will only be as good as its foundation.[/QUOTE]"""""

ok, thanks
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #31
solidaxel

Thanks
53 TuTone Extended Cab 350 4-Spd 3:08 (SOLD)
53 Chevy Moldy pearl green ZZ-4 4L60E 9" 3:25
55 GMC 1st Black Mll (ZZ4) ZZ6 TKO 600 5 sp 3:73
62 Solidaxle Corvette Roman Red (327
340hp 4spd 3:36) C4 & C5 suspension tube chassis
LS 3 4L70E
65 Corvette Coupe 327 350hp 4spd 4:11
78 Black Silverado SWB (350/350) 5.3 & 4L60E 3:42
2000 S-Type 3.0 (wife cruiser)
2003 GMC SCSB 5.3 4L60E 3:42
solidaxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #32
arturo7

What about the 2 component aerosol from Eastwood?

http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2k...y-aerosol.html

build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=542073
arturo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #33
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by arturo7 View Post
What about the 2 component aerosol from Eastwood?

http://www.eastwood.com/spray-max-2k...y-aerosol.html
I don't know every product out there so I can't speak for them. My experience has taught me one thing and that is to stick with what I know works and not take chances when it comes to primers and top coats. I would not trust anything on sheetmetal that I will be top coating other than 2K products that you mix and spray. I like epoxy primers some people like etching primer both work and have been proven to work. I also believe in staying with a complete paint system from primer to top coats unless you know for sure that your primers are compatible with the top coat. I don't leave anything to chance because if something will go wrong it would happen to me.lol Preparing a panel for paint is just too much work to risk it in my humble opinion.

Also paint can look great when first spayed and then the ugliness will show its head a year to two years later with all the chemicals reacting differently with each other. Have you seen paint just look great then all of sudden blisters and all sorts of weird things start happening? I much rather stick with a paint system and play it safe.

Last edited by Kabwe; 12-01-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #34
made2drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
I don't know every product out there so I can't speak for them. My experience has taught me one thing and that is to stick with what I know works and not take chances when it comes to primers and top coats. I would not trust anything on sheetmetal that I will be top coating other than 2K products that you mix and spray. I like epoxy primers some people like etching primer both work and have been proven to work. I also believe in staying with a complete paint system from primer to top coats unless you know for sure that your primers are compatible with the top coat. I don't leave anything to chance because if something will go wrong it would happen to me.lol Preparing a panel for paint is just too much work to risk it in my humble opinion.

Also paint can't look great when first spayed and then the ugliness will show its head a year to two years later with all the chemicals reacting differently with each other. Have you seen paint just look great then all of sudden blisters and all sorts of weird things start happening? I much rather stick with a paint system and play it safe.

good points
Old 04-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #35
Ronw435

I have a question about using the rust removal solutions like Eastwoods Rust Remover. Has anyone experienced rinsing it off with water and killing grass? I don't have an area that I can rinse it off at without having it go into my grass. I spend a lot of money each year keeping my lawn nice and am wondering if it will kill the grass?

Thanks for you help.
Ronw435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #36
TNACUSTOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronw435 View Post
I have a question about using the rust removal solutions like Eastwoods Rust Remover. Has anyone experienced rinsing it off with water and killing grass? I don't have an area that I can rinse it off at without having it go into my grass. I spend a lot of money each year keeping my lawn nice and am wondering if it will kill the grass?

Thanks for you help.
If kills rust it will probably kill the grass. Just do it in the street and piss the neighbors off
TNACUSTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 11:30 AM   #37
mr48chev

On the primer in a spray can thing. Some paint stores can mix paint or primer and put it in a spray can for you. There is the extra fee to do it and what not but it's still probably more than competitive with buying it from Eastwood and having it shipped UPS

Back in the 70's when the chopper craze was huge in Texas guys around Waco were having Fosters ( a paint shop) mix the color they wanted and put it in spray cans to paint their bikes with when they didn't have access to paint equipment. I used a lot of his primer on the 48 when I was getting it ready to paint in 1973 and the fenders that I painted then still have the original primer and paint under the hundreds of coats of other stuff. I should say hundreds of coats that have been sprayed and sanded and sprayed and sanded over the past 40 years.

That's just something to look into if you feel the real need to use spray cans. I could primer my whole truck with three cans of spray can primer at one time back then.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote