The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
mxer77

Wind noise

A new proud owner of a '68 GMC pickup here. Truck was lovingly restored, with new weatherstripping, etc. There is a tremendous amount of wind noise and whistling from the vent or "fly" windows. Any fix for this?
Attached Images

mxer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
capev86

Re: Wind noise

not really. fresh gaskets and making sure the glass sits flush and the latch pulls it tight is about all you can do. i don't have too much noise from my vent windows, i just have a lot of body hum from my 72 burb c20 due to no headliner, no full carpet and no modern sound deadening on the back of the body panels. i plan to put some kind of coating on the underside of the roof sheet metal before i put in a headliner and also coat the backsides of the rear quarter panels. you don't have the large vibrating surfaces to deal with like me but i still feel your pain. old trucks naturally have lots of squeaks and rattles that are part of the character and you can only fix it so much without losing that charm. best advise.....get a modern truck if you need it to ride like a cadillac.

actually...they do make a single piece window conversion for our trucks i believe. it certainly looks nice for show use. but then you lose the venting capacity. i have used my vent window to de-fog the driver window because my defroster fan is not working and the heater/vent control cables are seized and i haven't fixed them yet.

Last edited by capev86; 10-04-2010 at 08:38 PM.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 03:00 PM   #3
Lloyd C.

Re: Wind noise

Take a look at Rokcrin's post entitled LFD's upper door seal idea, posted 11-16-2009. I think he's got it figured out.
Lloyd C. is offline   Reply With Quote